Re:Sam not doing too well today

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3 3:21 AM
      Hi Gillian

      I`m sorry to hear Sam isn't doing too well today. It sounds as if the fluid
      might be building up again, so a trip to the vet is in order. He might up the
      lasix, or add spironolactone. My cats responded well to the combination and
      then reduced the lasix and have had a few months stability.

      It's good he is eating something. Applaws looks so good, if I weren't a
      vege, I`d eat it too!!

      :) Lyn

    • rainycat@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3 4:39 AM
        Sorry Sam is having a rough time, if he is coughing, it sounds like fluid is building, usually you see that their breaths have increased too, sounds like an increased dose of lasix is necessary and someone has replied about spirolactonehctz, this seems to help my kitty too along w/the lasix dose. I understand that the lasix only last for about 6 hrs, so maybe more frequent doses w/ help him out of this, If Sam appetite has gone off, if you can get him to eat Science Diet A/D, this is for short term but they seem to like it. Your vet can prescribe this,, keep us posted.

        --
        Lorraine

        From: "snusheesam" <illiangay@...>
        > Hi all, I first posted just aabout 3 months ago about Sam my red
        > colourpoint persian who was diagnosed with HCM and was put on Fortekor
        > and frusecare (one every other day). At that time he'd had to have
        > chyle fluid drained off and was much better, until today. Well, I say
        > just today - the past couple of days he's coughed a few times and last
        > night he refused his normal food (which is unheard of LOL!) - but I
        > gave him some tuna Applaws and he ate all that.
        >
        > Again, this mornign he wouldnt eat normal food, but did eat the tuna
        > stuff again (this isnt a complete food, so he shouldnt have it all the
        > time - however, if its all he'll eat, then thats better than nothing
        > isnt it)I've noticed his breathing is laboured/fast again - this is how
        > it was when first diagnosed and he had to have the fluid drained off -
        > do you think its building up again? I'll be contacting the vet in the
        > morning.
        >
        > He'd been doing so well too - like his normal self, interested in whats
        > going on, watching my every move in the kitchen from the worktop,
        > sleeping on my bed again, and now he is sleeping more and only moving
        > when its food time - and thats almost like automatic pilot.
        >
        > Sorry, this was a bit of ramble - it didnt start out that way, but I'm
        > worried about him.
        >
        > Oh, and just wanted to say thank you so much to those who posted info
        > for me and answered some of my questions when I first posted - I'm
        > sorry I didnt reply at the time but was just trying to take everything
        > in and I printed out your replies so I could look through them - so
        > apologies if I seemed rude, and I do appreciate the help you gave me,
        > Lisa, Rosemary, Jo and Nala - and anyone else, thanks again.
        >
        > Gillian in the UK

      • Astrid Smits
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3 4:55 AM
          Lorraine wrote:
          I understand that the lasix only last for about 6 hrs, so maybe more
          frequent doses w/ help him out of this, If Sam appetite has gone off, if you
          can get him to eat Science Diet A/D, this is for short term but they seem to
          like it. Your vet can prescribe this,, keep us posted.

          As you might've read in my introduction mail, my Cléo didn't want to eat
          either. When giving her A/D last Thursday and over the weekend, she directly
          went for it, and even w/out the force feeding, ate her meal w/out a problem.
          I'd definitely give A/D a try.

          As for the lasix, it might even work shorter than six hours. Cléo was
          prescribed furosoral, which I understood is the same as lasix. When we saw
          our vet a week ago in the weekend, he told us it works for two hours.

          You might want to check this w/your vet though, since I'm not familiar yet
          w/all the meds involved and the differences.

          Astrid
        • snusheesam
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5 6:45 AM
            Hi all, thanks for your replies again.

            Sam's been to the vet today, and I thought they'd keep him in to
            drain fluid off, but vet just upped his dose of frusemide to once a
            day (instead of one every other day) - ony for three days though, I
            can't see how that will make much difference if only for 3 days?

            I forgot to ask about spironolactone (thanks for mentioning it Lynn) -
            I'm afraid it was a bit chaotic in the surgery this morning -
            thought I'd gone on their 'cats only' day, but found they'd stopped
            doing that, so there were several dogs there, vet was busy and
            running late - and bit distracted. I'm going to phone later, because
            there were some things I wasnt sure about.

            My vet took his temp which was ok, but she gave him antibiotic jab
            and pills - just in case of any secondary infection?! I didnt really
            understand that, she wanted to give him Convenia long acting, but I
            said no to that, because I've had a cat with bad reaction and I just
            don't like the idea of a 14 day lasting injection.

            I forgot to add I think - that Sam has CRF as well as HCM - which was
            the reason for not giving frusemide every day in the beginning.

            Gillian
          • snusheesam
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7 4:44 AM
              Sam's not doing so well since going to the vet (see message below).
              She increased his dose of frusemide to one a day instead of every
              other day, and although he was eating before he went (although being
              picky), he's not wanted food this morning at all. Just walked away
              from his plate. He lay on the top of the stairs all night hardly
              shifting position.

              His breathing still looks bad to me. I've phone the vet and am
              waiting for her to return my call.

              What I want to know, is, can he come back from this particular
              episode? (I know ultimately I'm gonig to lose him) or is this the
              beginning of the end? I've not had any experience of heart disease
              before - plenty with CRF, so I just don't know what to expect, what
              can be done. He's sitting like my Suzie was when she was in end stage
              CRF, you know, sort of hunched.

              Any advice would be appreciated,

              Gillian

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "snusheesam" <illiangay@...>
              wrote:

              > Sam's been to the vet today, and I thought they'd keep him in to
              > drain fluid off, but vet just upped his dose of frusemide to once a
              > day (instead of one every other day) - ony for three days though, I
              > can't see how that will make much difference if only for 3 days?
              >

              > My vet took his temp which was ok, but she gave him antibiotic jab
              > and pills - just in case of any secondary infection?!
              >
              > I forgot to add - that Sam has CRF as well as HCM - which
              was
              > the reason for not giving frusemide every day in the beginning.
              >
              > Gillian

            • Sue B
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7 6:30 AM
                Gillian,

                Furosemide (aka lasix) only stays in the system for about six hours. I
                understand that the vet is concerned about the kidneys, but without a
                functioning heart, what good are the kidneys?

                Ask your vet if it would be helpful to give a smaller dose, but more often.
                If that doesn't work, then Sam may need to take it at the full dose, but
                more often.

                Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
                with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella