Sam not doing too well today

  • snusheesam
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi all, I first posted just aabout 3 months ago about Sam my red
      colourpoint persian who was diagnosed with HCM and was put on Fortekor
      and frusecare (one every other day). At that time he'd had to have
      chyle fluid drained off and was much better, until today. Well, I say
      just today - the past couple of days he's coughed a few times and last
      night he refused his normal food (which is unheard of LOL!) - but I
      gave him some tuna Applaws and he ate all that.

      Again, this mornign he wouldnt eat normal food, but did eat the tuna
      stuff again (this isnt a complete food, so he shouldnt have it all the
      time - however, if its all he'll eat, then thats better than nothing
      isnt it)I've noticed his breathing is laboured/fast again - this is how
      it was when first diagnosed and he had to have the fluid drained off -
      do you think its building up again? I'll be contacting the vet in the
      morning.

      He'd been doing so well too - like his normal self, interested in whats
      going on, watching my every move in the kitchen from the worktop,
      sleeping on my bed again, and now he is sleeping more and only moving
      when its food time - and thats almost like automatic pilot.

      Sorry, this was a bit of ramble - it didnt start out that way, but I'm
      worried about him.

      Oh, and just wanted to say thank you so much to those who posted info
      for me and answered some of my questions when I first posted - I'm
      sorry I didnt reply at the time but was just trying to take everything
      in and I printed out your replies so I could look through them - so
      apologies if I seemed rude, and I do appreciate the help you gave me,
      Lisa, Rosemary, Jo and Nala - and anyone else, thanks again.

      Gillian in the UK
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        Hi Gillian

        I`m sorry to hear Sam isn't doing too well today. It sounds as if the fluid
        might be building up again, so a trip to the vet is in order. He might up the
        lasix, or add spironolactone. My cats responded well to the combination and
        then reduced the lasix and have had a few months stability.

        It's good he is eating something. Applaws looks so good, if I weren't a
        vege, I`d eat it too!!

        :) Lyn

      • rainycat@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          Sorry Sam is having a rough time, if he is coughing, it sounds like fluid is building, usually you see that their breaths have increased too, sounds like an increased dose of lasix is necessary and someone has replied about spirolactonehctz, this seems to help my kitty too along w/the lasix dose. I understand that the lasix only last for about 6 hrs, so maybe more frequent doses w/ help him out of this, If Sam appetite has gone off, if you can get him to eat Science Diet A/D, this is for short term but they seem to like it. Your vet can prescribe this,, keep us posted.

          --
          Lorraine

          From: "snusheesam" <illiangay@...>
          > Hi all, I first posted just aabout 3 months ago about Sam my red
          > colourpoint persian who was diagnosed with HCM and was put on Fortekor
          > and frusecare (one every other day). At that time he'd had to have
          > chyle fluid drained off and was much better, until today. Well, I say
          > just today - the past couple of days he's coughed a few times and last
          > night he refused his normal food (which is unheard of LOL!) - but I
          > gave him some tuna Applaws and he ate all that.
          >
          > Again, this mornign he wouldnt eat normal food, but did eat the tuna
          > stuff again (this isnt a complete food, so he shouldnt have it all the
          > time - however, if its all he'll eat, then thats better than nothing
          > isnt it)I've noticed his breathing is laboured/fast again - this is how
          > it was when first diagnosed and he had to have the fluid drained off -
          > do you think its building up again? I'll be contacting the vet in the
          > morning.
          >
          > He'd been doing so well too - like his normal self, interested in whats
          > going on, watching my every move in the kitchen from the worktop,
          > sleeping on my bed again, and now he is sleeping more and only moving
          > when its food time - and thats almost like automatic pilot.
          >
          > Sorry, this was a bit of ramble - it didnt start out that way, but I'm
          > worried about him.
          >
          > Oh, and just wanted to say thank you so much to those who posted info
          > for me and answered some of my questions when I first posted - I'm
          > sorry I didnt reply at the time but was just trying to take everything
          > in and I printed out your replies so I could look through them - so
          > apologies if I seemed rude, and I do appreciate the help you gave me,
          > Lisa, Rosemary, Jo and Nala - and anyone else, thanks again.
          >
          > Gillian in the UK

        • Astrid Smits
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            Lorraine wrote:
            I understand that the lasix only last for about 6 hrs, so maybe more
            frequent doses w/ help him out of this, If Sam appetite has gone off, if you
            can get him to eat Science Diet A/D, this is for short term but they seem to
            like it. Your vet can prescribe this,, keep us posted.

            As you might've read in my introduction mail, my Cléo didn't want to eat
            either. When giving her A/D last Thursday and over the weekend, she directly
            went for it, and even w/out the force feeding, ate her meal w/out a problem.
            I'd definitely give A/D a try.

            As for the lasix, it might even work shorter than six hours. Cléo was
            prescribed furosoral, which I understood is the same as lasix. When we saw
            our vet a week ago in the weekend, he told us it works for two hours.

            You might want to check this w/your vet though, since I'm not familiar yet
            w/all the meds involved and the differences.

            Astrid
          • snusheesam
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
              Hi all, thanks for your replies again.

              Sam's been to the vet today, and I thought they'd keep him in to
              drain fluid off, but vet just upped his dose of frusemide to once a
              day (instead of one every other day) - ony for three days though, I
              can't see how that will make much difference if only for 3 days?

              I forgot to ask about spironolactone (thanks for mentioning it Lynn) -
              I'm afraid it was a bit chaotic in the surgery this morning -
              thought I'd gone on their 'cats only' day, but found they'd stopped
              doing that, so there were several dogs there, vet was busy and
              running late - and bit distracted. I'm going to phone later, because
              there were some things I wasnt sure about.

              My vet took his temp which was ok, but she gave him antibiotic jab
              and pills - just in case of any secondary infection?! I didnt really
              understand that, she wanted to give him Convenia long acting, but I
              said no to that, because I've had a cat with bad reaction and I just
              don't like the idea of a 14 day lasting injection.

              I forgot to add I think - that Sam has CRF as well as HCM - which was
              the reason for not giving frusemide every day in the beginning.

              Gillian
            • snusheesam
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
                Sam's not doing so well since going to the vet (see message below).
                She increased his dose of frusemide to one a day instead of every
                other day, and although he was eating before he went (although being
                picky), he's not wanted food this morning at all. Just walked away
                from his plate. He lay on the top of the stairs all night hardly
                shifting position.

                His breathing still looks bad to me. I've phone the vet and am
                waiting for her to return my call.

                What I want to know, is, can he come back from this particular
                episode? (I know ultimately I'm gonig to lose him) or is this the
                beginning of the end? I've not had any experience of heart disease
                before - plenty with CRF, so I just don't know what to expect, what
                can be done. He's sitting like my Suzie was when she was in end stage
                CRF, you know, sort of hunched.

                Any advice would be appreciated,

                Gillian

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "snusheesam" <illiangay@...>
                wrote:

                > Sam's been to the vet today, and I thought they'd keep him in to
                > drain fluid off, but vet just upped his dose of frusemide to once a
                > day (instead of one every other day) - ony for three days though, I
                > can't see how that will make much difference if only for 3 days?
                >

                > My vet took his temp which was ok, but she gave him antibiotic jab
                > and pills - just in case of any secondary infection?!
                >
                > I forgot to add - that Sam has CRF as well as HCM - which
                was
                > the reason for not giving frusemide every day in the beginning.
                >
                > Gillian

              • Sue B
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 7, 2008
                  Gillian,

                  Furosemide (aka lasix) only stays in the system for about six hours. I
                  understand that the vet is concerned about the kidneys, but without a
                  functioning heart, what good are the kidneys?

                  Ask your vet if it would be helpful to give a smaller dose, but more often.
                  If that doesn't work, then Sam may need to take it at the full dose, but
                  more often.

                  Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
                  with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella