OT: Metacam...thanks for the heads up.

  • smudgepooka
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2008
      Thank you for the information on Metacam. I spoke with Pooka's doctor this morning and
      we decided that in view of her size (Pooka is a BIG 16-pound non heart RagaMuffin), low
      dosage and short term of use, it is still a safe choice for her considering how severe her
      bouts of acute pancreatitis have been in the past. Her initial dose is .3 mm. She then gets
      .15mm once a day for the next four days. Then she is weaned off it at .15mm every other
      day for another four doses. She has never needed the Metacam more than once every six
      months (or less). The last time she ran into a problem was March 9, 2008.
      Unfortunately, Pooka will not touch wet food or my all time favorite cat fiber, pumpkin.
      Plus she is long haired as is the love of her life, Smudge. She spends hours grooming him
      and I am sure her belly is always full of someone's fur. I just wish she was as easy to
      medicate as SweetPete. For all her size, Pooka is very fast and disappears into tiny,
      inaccessible places in the blink of an eye.
    • Sharyl
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
        I understand the need to control pain but there are other very effective methods of treating pain without using Metacam.  Buprenorphine is very effective for pancreatitis pain.  Here is a link to more info.
        http://www.marvistavet.com/html/buprenorphine.html

        Even when the dose is correct metacam causes renal failure in approx. 30% of the cats that receive it.

        There is a new Yahoo pancreatitis group that could also help Pooka.

        Sharyl Pequita and Angel Albert

[...]

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
          Hi Sharyl and Group;