Re: [FH] New Member - Should we see a Cardiologist?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hi Jen,

      We are new to the group as our Mellie was just diagnosed with a heart
      murmur in May. We now see a cardiologist who put her on atenolol to
      slow her heart rate. Mellie had several events on May 6(have had
      various diagnoses including fainting, then seizures, and now the
      current belief is that she had a series of small strokes). We had an
      echo done by a local vet who gave us an incorrect diagnosis, so I am
      very glad to read that you will be seeing a cardiologist. Sure wish
      we had insurance on her....

      Carol and Mellie

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, supafly77 <supafly77@...> wrote:

      > Well it looks like everyone is saying I should take my kitty to the
      cardiologist. I'm planning to call VPI to increase his coverage to
      Superior, which it used to be at first. I hope they'll be ok with it.

      > Has anyone been to the cardio vet in CT (Shoreline VCA)?
      >
      > I don't really understand much about the progression of murmurs in
      cats and whether we can give him preventative medicine esp since he's
      asymptomatic of any diseases.

      > How common are these kinds of heart problems in cats? I know a lot
      of cats have murmurs, I just wondering if heart problems are up there
      with Kidney Failure as far as cat diseases go.

      > Thanks!
      > Jen & Kinu
      >

      > > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com From: supafly77@... Date: Thu,
      30 Oct 2008 20:50:36 +0000 Subject: [FH] New Member - Should we see a
      Cardiologist?
      > > I was told that my 6 yo neutered male cat had a Stage 1 heart
      murmur at his last vet appt (a few weeks ago). This was the first
      time it was detected, however, since we moved around a lot when he
      was younger, it was probably only his 2nd time seeing that vet, 3rd
      time to that practice. The vet said we'd just monitor it. I'd made
      the decision to vaccinate him against FIV/FELV because I come into
      contact with rescued shelter cats, just to be on the safe side. Also,
      in his middle age, I have started letting him go outside, but just in
      our immediate yard for the most part. Since he got his first shot at
      the appt a few weeks ago, we had to go back yesterday for a booster.
      Yesterday we saw a different vet in the same practice and he said it
      was Stage 1/2. Again, the vet didn't get too upset about it. However
      after googling I'm getting worried and thinking maybe I should have
      an ultrasound done. I did find a cardiologist here in CT at the
      Shoreline VCA. How
      > much do these cost so I can budget for it? I do have VPI pet
      insurance, which should cover a portion. Am I overreacting? Thanks!
      Jen (and Kinu the kitty)

    • Lisa Clarizia
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        Hi Jen and Kinu,

        If you can afford it, I would do it. It never hurts to get a precise
        diagnosis, and you may want to start him on prophylactic drugs such as
        atenolol.

        As for the cost -- it varies. It will probably include the vet visit -- I
        would call them, and ask what the estimated cost will be. It will likely be
        at least a couple hundred, but they should be able to give you an idea of
        the exact cost.

        Welcome to the group!

        Lisa