Re: [FH] Methionine for crystals

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2008
      Hi Shannon and Group;
      >I am not able to open the link. Can you please try to re-send?

      How strange! I have tried to recreate the URL with 'TinyURL' twice and it
      doesn't pick up the address.

      Before I give you the information that will help you find an article with a
      very long URL, I should qualify my last posting as we do add a little
      taurine to Pepper's diet because he is given a lot of freeze dried salmon
      and quail hearts. Taurine is the one water soluble amino acid at risk with
      freeze drying, and I have found nothing suggesting taurine needs to be
      controlled as other amino acids may need, probably because excess can be
      excreted as it is water soluble.

      You can find the article with a search of the following:
      Br. J. Nutr. (1983), 49, 411 41 1
      Methionine requirement of kittens given amino acid diets containing adequate
      cystine
      BY KATHERINE A. SMALLEY, QUINTON R. ROGERS AND JAMES G. MORRIS
      Departments of Physiological Sciences and Animal Sciences, University of
      California,
      Davis, California 95616, USA
      (Received 1 I May 1982 - Accepted 2 December 1982)

      The following is a quote of the last paragraph of the 'Discussion' as shown
      in the pdf file:
      "While little is known about feline intermediary metabolism in general, our
      present knowledge of S amino acid metabolism in the cat indicates that it
      has some nique features. The cat, unlike other species, under certain
      conditions may not synthesize sufficient taurine to maintain normal retinal
      function (Hayes et al. 1975). Taurine is synthesized from cysteine, but
      cysteine sulphinic acid decarboxylase (EC 4.1.1.29), an enzyme important in
      this conversion, has been shown to have low activity in the liver of the cat
      (Knopf et af. 1978). The cat also differs from other species in that it
      excretes felinine, a branched-chain S-containing amino acid. Felinine is not
      found in tissues of the cat and is believed to be synthesized in the kidney
      (possibly from cystine) and excreted in the urine. The activities of many of
      the enzymes involved in feline S amino acid metabolism are unknown.
      Undoubtedly a more complete understanding of S amino acid metabolism in the
      cat will lead to an explanation for its unusually high methionine
      requirement."

      Pat and all the boys.
      http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/