Re:Brandy - heart getting worse/need help

  • Larson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2008
      Dawn, Stanley was started on that dose - 12.5 mg Furosemide
      daily. He was backed off to 1/2 pill when the fluid was under
      control, and is now on 1/2 pill every other day. The one thing you
      have to watch for is a loss of potassium, and it was that loss that
      made my vet go to every other day, even though Stan also gets two
      potassium pills daily. Blood work will tell you about potassium loss
      (among other things) but the horrible sign for Stan was having
      difficulty walking - an easy to read explanation is here:
      http://www.missionvet.com/Feline%20Conditions/Potassium.htmn "the
      beginning stages of potassium deficiency, signs are very subtle, and
      often attributed to "old age" or other diseases. Cats may exhibit
      weight loss, muscle weakness, stiff gait, poor hair coat, poor
      appetite, and listlessness. These signs may NOT be evident until the
      condition becomes acute and possibly life threatening." Stan has
      both asthma and CHF - the treatments for each one are bad for the
      other, so it's a balancing act, but he's doing pretty well. I wish
      the same for Brandy.

      Carol and Stan in Maine