Fire Kitty died from complications undiagnosed HCM

  • cheri.greeson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2008
      I am so devestated and still trying to come to terms with what
      happened and why. Last Sunday I noticed that Fire Kitty a 6 1/2 year
      old short haired male cat was having a little trouble urinating. I
      called the vet and took him in on Monday, they gave him antibiotics,
      and asked me to get a urine sample.

      Tuesday morning got the sample and it was full of blood, and not much
      volume. Took the sample to the vet, they called me later in the
      morning and told me that he had crystals in his urine, FUS, and that I
      need to bring him in to be catherized. A standard procedure. He went
      in had the catheter put in, everything seemed find, a couple of hours
      later he started hypersalivating, and they said they'd keep him
      overnight.

      Wednesday at lunch I went and saw him, he was fine, happy kitty. The
      vet said he'd take the catheter out shortly and them I could pick him
      up after work. When I picked him up he was hypersalivating, it was
      bad, but the vet said he thought that it was stress. Took him home,
      it didn't get better, but he walked around, used the litter box and
      went and sat out in our fenced back yard for a little while. I called
      the vet about 7 because it had not slowed down and he seemed stressed
      out. The vet met me at his clinic and gave him a 5 medicine shot
      including a sedative to relax him. He went back home the
      hypersalivation stopped, and he was normal til 3 am and he started
      howling. I tried to comfort him until the vet opened in the morning.
      Thursday he spent the whole day at the vet where he kept sedating him
      to keep him calm, that evening I transfered him to the emergency
      hospital, where the attending immediately diagnosed him with a clot of
      the central nervous system and suspected HCM.

      Friday he went to a kitty cardiologist who did an echo and confirmed
      the HCM, but said that the immediate concern was the stroke that was
      caused from a clot thrown from the HCM condition. He went back to the
      emergency vet and stayed their on Oxygen therapy until he passed away
      at 5am on Saturday morning.

      Fire Kitty was the love of my life and I'm heart broken and mad.

      From what I now understand is that the constant sedation on a cat with
      HCM increased the risk of him throwing clots and that it contributed
      to his death. I also understand the hypersalivation is a classic sign
      of a cat who has had a stroke. He 1st presented witht he
      hypersalivation 5 days before he passed away. I just don't know how
      my vet could not have know this was a cause and an effect. The
      emergency vet knew right away.

      I am questioning if my vet had caught the problem if we would have
      been able to save him? I appreciate your thoughts.