Re:Kitten has open mouth breathing after playing hard

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hello Cathy

      My girl Trixi was diagnosed with HCM at just over three months. It is very
      rare, but what happened is Trixi may have got two copies of the HCM gene. She
      also had open mouth breathing and a high respiratory rate, but it was also
      high at rest.

      The only way to tell for sure is an ultrasound. That scans the heart. There
      are other conditions too which could cause this such as a simple snotty nose
      or even feline asthma.

      HCM is extremely rare at a young age, but not impossible. Early treatment is
      the key to controlling it and unfortunately the only way to tell is a scan.
      Trixi did have a grade 4 heart murmur though, so that's reassuring for you.

    • amanda
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
        Hi Cathy, I don`t think it`s normal to have open mouthed breathing after playing, even for kittens, I have had several litters of kittens and none of them, even my HCM cat never did this. Could it be asthma? not sure how you spell it! I hope someone else here can give you more information, but I haven`t seen this open mouthed breathing on any of my kittens. Please search the internet about it too, hope you find out what the problem is soon! Amanda and Silver chan

      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
          Cathy,

          I have the same situation with my little girl Lola who just turned 1. My
          vet told me to save up & get an ECG done to see if she has heart disease.
          An ECG is also called an echocardiogram or ultrasound or sonogram.

          It's not normal to have open-mouth breathing in cats.

          Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
          with Nicholai, Lola and Isabella

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
            When my cat developed asthma (he was probably around 3 or 4 years) he got down in a crouch and it looked to me at first like he was trying to cough up a hairball, then I realized he was trying to breathe (kind of extending his airway close to the floor to get maximum clearance). Is this what you mean by "open mouthed breathing?" If so, it could be asthma. He never had it come on from play, I think his is triggered by the environment/allergens, but maybe it can also be triggered by activity. I agree though, have an echo to be sure...either thing is nothing to ignore. Good luck...Judi and Max

            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: white-daisey@...: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:23:52 +0900Subject: [FH] Re:Kitten has open mouth breathing after playing hard

            Hi Cathy, I don`t think it`s normal to have open mouthed breathing after playing, even for kittens, I have had several litters of kittens and none of them, even my HCM cat never did this. Could it be asthma? not sure how you spell it! I hope someone else here can give you more information, but I haven`t seen this open mouthed breathing on any of my kittens. Please search the internet about it too, hope you find out what the problem is soon! Amanda and Silver chan [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Sue B
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
              If you're concerned about asthma, check out Fritz The Brave. It's *the* web
              site for information about cats with asthma. There's a video showing Fritz
              having an asthma attack. They describe it as the "alligator stance" with
              the head & neck stretched straight out in front of them. It seems as if the
              cat is trying - unproductively - to hark up a hairball.

              http://www.fritzthebrave.com

              Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
              with Nicholai, Lola & Isabella
            • janie
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
                Cathy my daughters cat we when it was a kitten it stuck his tongue out
                We thought at first he had a problem but is fine. The only way to know
                is an echo or ultra sound as its called. Dont pay for any other test.
                I had 4 kittens and at 5 I lost 2 so had the other two checked. My
                Blackie did not have it. Sockster came through all the test and the
                echo showed he had it. I would have never known he was such an active
                boy. I gave him medicine and he lived to 12. So if you have some $
                sometime get it done. If your short just keep an eye on him and when
                it happens. If the vet has not heard a murmur that is not a sign hes
                ok but it is a help. We cant all go around getting tests but when
                there is indication. Even people. I have this disease and the echo is
                what showed it. So just keep an eye out. Was it humid or how often. If
                it just happened once or for a reason I would wait. Boomer did it
                going to the vet I thought she was going to die. It was hot and I had
                chased her all over to get her in the cage and I guess she hyper
                ventilated. Her Mom and her cousin had this so we did later take an
                ultra sound and she was fine. It can be something else too. Janie