Red One Update.. White Blood Cell Count 30,000 + Feeding tips requested.

  • rs4lb
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2008
      Hope everyone is doing well.. just wanted to give you an update re:
      Red One.

      We're still fighting the effects of dehydration. Red received an
      enema last week for severe constipation that just wreaked havoc w/
      his hydration levels.

      He really hasn't eaten on his own and pretty much despises me at this
      point from all the force feeding.

      We stopped all of his meds for a few days per our vet and his
      hydration started to get back to normal.

      Our vet then put him back on a really low dose of meds (vs what he
      was taking) (6.25 lasix + 6.25 spiro AM and 6.25 lasix PM) and he got
      dehydrated.. again.

      He's been really lethargic and miserable the last couple of days. At
      the re-check our vet discovered his PCV was down to 26% from 33% last
      week.

      After doing some more digging he discovered that his White Blood Cell
      count was 30,000!?!?

      Red One is now on antibiotics for some "unknown" infection.

      I'm hoping he didn't aspirate any of his food.

      His kidney values looked pretty decent with his BUN only being
      slightly high.

      I'm now fighting to try and keep him hydrated and nourished.

      It's been really miserable trying to get our poor guy to eat 200+
      calories a day by force feeding.

      One positive note.. I completed my first round of SubQ's (50ml) and
      it didn't turn into a complete fiasco!! My first attempt a couple of
      months ago failed miserably because I didn't warm the fluids first..

      My vet and I discussed putting in some kind of stomach tube for Red
      this afternoon and he felt the stress of the anesthetic could kick
      him over the cliff, so to speak.

      We've been struggling with Iams/Eukanuba Maximum Calorie. It takes so
      many feedings to get him fed that the stress is making him weaker AND
      is causing him to become averse to being around me.

      He's at the point of growling every time he sees me!

      Any suggestions on how to get the most amount of calories into Red w/
      the least amount of volume would be VERY appreciated.

      Best,

      mc
    • rs4lb
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2008
        Just a clarification on my previous post. To me "force feeding" =
        syringe feeding.