Re: [FH] possible clot in front paw

  • Gina Fayne
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
      I can't help you with the possible clot problem, but I would suggest that you explain to the doctor your budget constraints. Ask him what he can do for Boo-Boo without breaking the bank. Very often a doctor will try hard to work with you.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
        yeah, i just don't get that kind of vibe from the cardio. he's a very nice, caring guy, but he
        works at a center that's a big building with lots of different vets and they are in a nicer
        part of l.a. and specialize in emergency care and are known for being very expensive -
        when you pick up your pet you have to pay first before you even see you pet or the dr.it's
        not the close, homey feel i get at our regular cat clinic. i talked to the card this morning
        and he did say that he wanted to do an ultrasound, but i requested that he just see him
        and prescribe something for the clot - he said he would do that. ultimately, i decided to
        call our regular vet and he said he felt comfortable seeing him for this, esp since the
        cardio said he would not give him anything to break up the clot, probably just aspirin to
        prevent future clots. we're back now and he has me giving him a 1/2 a baby aspirin every
        other day - is this the typical dosage? boo-boos seems better already, he isn't limping as
        bad, his nails weren't purple and his paw wasn't cold - maybe it was just a sprain?

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Gina Fayne <smudgepooka@...> wrote:

        > I can't help you with the possible clot problem, but I would suggest that you explain to
        the doctor your budget constraints. Ask him what he can do for Boo-Boo without breaking
        the bank. Very often a doctor will try hard to work with you.

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
          We gave Chris the half baby aspirin every 3 days, but I'm not sure
          what the exact dose should be. Can some of the other folks chime in
          here? What dose are you giving your babies?

          If you do decide to give the Nattokinase, stop the aspirin. You'd give
          one or the other, not both, since they're both blood thinning
          treatments.

          Oh, I forgot to mention before too, for pain, we gave Chris Buprenex
          injections. He only needed them for a few days.

          I'm glad boo-boos is feeling better.

          hugs,
          Carol and Snowball and the gang
        • janie
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2008
            You know I lost one to a clot in the back leg. I also saw her brother
            start limpining and I knew he had this heart disease too so I freaked
            out. I happen to see him fall off the dresser and I thought he hurt
            his leg. For three days he hid and didnt want to move or eat. Then he
            got up and was fine I will tell you you can feel their legs are colder
            and you should have your vet teach you how to feel their pulse in
            their back legs. If his legs are warm my guess he has hurt himself.
            Sockster had an imune problem and I cant rember what it was and he
            limped in his front paw. They give them steroids to help it but I
            didnt know he had heart trouble then. I never gave him that again. So
            If the legs are warm and hes ok other than that ok. We did give him
            baby asprin 1/4 every 3 days. Because his sister died that way. I dont
            know how sick or old your cat is but I sure would not put a cat down
            the way your vet said he needs to read up on this. That happened to me
            in 1999 an emergency vet said I should put her to sleep or go to
            Purdue. I put her to sleep but she was freezing cold and she could not
            walk. That was 1999. This is 2008 and they CAN try to help them now.
            So hope its just a sprain. Janie