Re:possible clot in front paw

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
      Hiya

      I`m not an expert in clots so others will help more, but I would consider if
      there could be another cause such as injury. Check the foot for scratches or
      even something stuck and also.. is the paw warm and the pads warm? A blood
      clot tends to cause a cold paw.

      If it is a clot, you need treatment at the earliest opportunity to dissolve
      it. The vet will likely have heparin or something similar to help, but a
      regular vet will be able to check for a pulse in the paw as well to rule out a
      clot. Clots can be agonising, so is Boo in pain? Personally I think the pain is
      the decider, I wouldn't see my babes suffer if they were in agony, but I
      would try morphine perhaps first?

      Again, i`m not sure about clots, but I`m thinking about you..

      Hugs

    • Gina Fayne
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
        I can't help you with the possible clot problem, but I would suggest that you explain to the doctor your budget constraints. Ask him what he can do for Boo-Boo without breaking the bank. Very often a doctor will try hard to work with you.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
          yeah, i just don't get that kind of vibe from the cardio. he's a very nice, caring guy, but he
          works at a center that's a big building with lots of different vets and they are in a nicer
          part of l.a. and specialize in emergency care and are known for being very expensive -
          when you pick up your pet you have to pay first before you even see you pet or the dr.it's
          not the close, homey feel i get at our regular cat clinic. i talked to the card this morning
          and he did say that he wanted to do an ultrasound, but i requested that he just see him
          and prescribe something for the clot - he said he would do that. ultimately, i decided to
          call our regular vet and he said he felt comfortable seeing him for this, esp since the
          cardio said he would not give him anything to break up the clot, probably just aspirin to
          prevent future clots. we're back now and he has me giving him a 1/2 a baby aspirin every
          other day - is this the typical dosage? boo-boos seems better already, he isn't limping as
          bad, his nails weren't purple and his paw wasn't cold - maybe it was just a sprain?

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Gina Fayne <smudgepooka@...> wrote:

          > I can't help you with the possible clot problem, but I would suggest that you explain to
          the doctor your budget constraints. Ask him what he can do for Boo-Boo without breaking
          the bank. Very often a doctor will try hard to work with you.

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
            We gave Chris the half baby aspirin every 3 days, but I'm not sure
            what the exact dose should be. Can some of the other folks chime in
            here? What dose are you giving your babies?

            If you do decide to give the Nattokinase, stop the aspirin. You'd give
            one or the other, not both, since they're both blood thinning
            treatments.

            Oh, I forgot to mention before too, for pain, we gave Chris Buprenex
            injections. He only needed them for a few days.

            I'm glad boo-boos is feeling better.

            hugs,
            Carol and Snowball and the gang
          • janie
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2008
              You know I lost one to a clot in the back leg. I also saw her brother
              start limpining and I knew he had this heart disease too so I freaked
              out. I happen to see him fall off the dresser and I thought he hurt
              his leg. For three days he hid and didnt want to move or eat. Then he
              got up and was fine I will tell you you can feel their legs are colder
              and you should have your vet teach you how to feel their pulse in
              their back legs. If his legs are warm my guess he has hurt himself.
              Sockster had an imune problem and I cant rember what it was and he
              limped in his front paw. They give them steroids to help it but I
              didnt know he had heart trouble then. I never gave him that again. So
              If the legs are warm and hes ok other than that ok. We did give him
              baby asprin 1/4 every 3 days. Because his sister died that way. I dont
              know how sick or old your cat is but I sure would not put a cat down
              the way your vet said he needs to read up on this. That happened to me
              in 1999 an emergency vet said I should put her to sleep or go to
              Purdue. I put her to sleep but she was freezing cold and she could not
              walk. That was 1999. This is 2008 and they CAN try to help them now.
              So hope its just a sprain. Janie