Re: possible clot in front paw

  • dbianca23
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
      thanks! i was wondering if he hurt jumping over the baby gate in my kids room. his
      demeanor has changed though and he's gagging and doing this really weird violent tongue
      shaking thing when i gave him his pills last night and this morning. i'm going to call the
      card right now - i'm hoping they will look at him and prescribe the meds without wanting
      to do any ultrasounds and xrays because we can't afford all that right and this puts me in
      a bad spot.

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
        Hiya

        I`m not an expert in clots so others will help more, but I would consider if
        there could be another cause such as injury. Check the foot for scratches or
        even something stuck and also.. is the paw warm and the pads warm? A blood
        clot tends to cause a cold paw.

        If it is a clot, you need treatment at the earliest opportunity to dissolve
        it. The vet will likely have heparin or something similar to help, but a
        regular vet will be able to check for a pulse in the paw as well to rule out a
        clot. Clots can be agonising, so is Boo in pain? Personally I think the pain is
        the decider, I wouldn't see my babes suffer if they were in agony, but I
        would try morphine perhaps first?

        Again, i`m not sure about clots, but I`m thinking about you..

        Hugs

      • Gina Fayne
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
          I can't help you with the possible clot problem, but I would suggest that you explain to the doctor your budget constraints. Ask him what he can do for Boo-Boo without breaking the bank. Very often a doctor will try hard to work with you.

          > boo-boos is limping on his front paw, i'm assuming
          > it's a clot, can someone give me the
          > low-down? i guess he goes back to the card for this and not
          > the reg vet? from what i've read
          > the saddle thrombus is bad, but is the paw okay? can it be
          > easily treated - what will they do
          > at the card? just look at him and prescribe something to
          > break it up? our card is over an hour
          > away and very expensive, if i'm going to take him,
          > it'll have to be tomorrow since it's friday. i
          > can't do another $3000. trip so i'm wondering if
          > they'll want to do ultrasounds and all that.
          > also, in talking with our regular vet (a cat only vet for
          > many, many years) we decided that if
          > he had another bad episode that we would be putting him
          > down. so i'm wondering how bad
          > this is? is it just a small bump and easy to get past?
          > thanks for answering all my
          > scatterbrained questions!
        • dbianca23
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
            yeah, i just don't get that kind of vibe from the cardio. he's a very nice, caring guy, but he
            works at a center that's a big building with lots of different vets and they are in a nicer
            part of l.a. and specialize in emergency care and are known for being very expensive -
            when you pick up your pet you have to pay first before you even see you pet or the dr.it's
            not the close, homey feel i get at our regular cat clinic. i talked to the card this morning
            and he did say that he wanted to do an ultrasound, but i requested that he just see him
            and prescribe something for the clot - he said he would do that. ultimately, i decided to
            call our regular vet and he said he felt comfortable seeing him for this, esp since the
            cardio said he would not give him anything to break up the clot, probably just aspirin to
            prevent future clots. we're back now and he has me giving him a 1/2 a baby aspirin every
            other day - is this the typical dosage? boo-boos seems better already, he isn't limping as
            bad, his nails weren't purple and his paw wasn't cold - maybe it was just a sprain?

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Gina Fayne <smudgepooka@...> wrote:

            > I can't help you with the possible clot problem, but I would suggest that you explain to
            the doctor your budget constraints. Ask him what he can do for Boo-Boo without breaking
            the bank. Very often a doctor will try hard to work with you.

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
              We gave Chris the half baby aspirin every 3 days, but I'm not sure
              what the exact dose should be. Can some of the other folks chime in
              here? What dose are you giving your babies?

              If you do decide to give the Nattokinase, stop the aspirin. You'd give
              one or the other, not both, since they're both blood thinning
              treatments.

              Oh, I forgot to mention before too, for pain, we gave Chris Buprenex
              injections. He only needed them for a few days.

              I'm glad boo-boos is feeling better.

              hugs,
              Carol and Snowball and the gang
            • janie
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2008
                You know I lost one to a clot in the back leg. I also saw her brother
                start limpining and I knew he had this heart disease too so I freaked
                out. I happen to see him fall off the dresser and I thought he hurt
                his leg. For three days he hid and didnt want to move or eat. Then he
                got up and was fine I will tell you you can feel their legs are colder
                and you should have your vet teach you how to feel their pulse in
                their back legs. If his legs are warm my guess he has hurt himself.
                Sockster had an imune problem and I cant rember what it was and he
                limped in his front paw. They give them steroids to help it but I
                didnt know he had heart trouble then. I never gave him that again. So
                If the legs are warm and hes ok other than that ok. We did give him
                baby asprin 1/4 every 3 days. Because his sister died that way. I dont
                know how sick or old your cat is but I sure would not put a cat down
                the way your vet said he needs to read up on this. That happened to me
                in 1999 an emergency vet said I should put her to sleep or go to
                Purdue. I put her to sleep but she was freezing cold and she could not
                walk. That was 1999. This is 2008 and they CAN try to help them now.
                So hope its just a sprain. Janie