Re: [FH] Vet visit tomorrow: Q's to ask?

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
      Alma,

      Over time, they do start accumulating more fluid so it's typical that the
      medications need to be adjusted from time to time. By the end, my Pepper
      was taking three 20mg tablets of lasix daily along with 6.25mg spiro and her
      other meds.

      Lasix works on fluid inside the lungs, but it's possible that Reynard is
      also accumulating fluid outside the lungs. Spironolactone (aka "spiro") is
      great for that and works well together with the lasix.

      I'm also a bit concerned about giving him both natto and plavix together as
      they both thin the blood. Maybe someone else has a more informed opinion on
      this.

      Overall, it's probably just an adjustment in the meds. I wish you and
      Reynard all the best on your visit tomorrow!

      Sue & angel Pepper

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
        On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 12:18:26AM -0400, Sue B wrote:

        > Lasix works on fluid inside the lungs, but it's possible that Reynard is
        > also accumulating fluid outside the lungs. Spironolactone (aka "spiro") is
        > great for that and works well together with the lasix.

        So Lasix does not work on fluid outside the lungs? I'm curious if
        anyone knows why that would be -- my understanding was that Lasix caused
        the kidneys to pump out more water, so that there was less fluid in the
        circulatory system, and as a result lower blood pressure, and as a
        result the fluid didn't get pushed out of blood vessels and into body
        cavities. I'm clearly missing some part of the process, because
        according to that, Lasix would work both inside and outside the lungs --
        anyone know?

        Thanks,
        Jessica
        (with a cat taking Lasix)
      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
          Jessica,

          I don't know the bio-chemical reasons for why this is, but lasix works
          primarily on fluid inside the lungs. I'm sure it will help remove some
          fluid outside the lungs, but it doesn't do it well. That's where diuretics
          like spironolactone do best.

          Wish I could tell you more. All I know is that when my Pepper got fluid
          outside her lungs, the spiro made the difference.

          Sue & angel Pepper

          > On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 12:18:26AM -0400, Sue B wrote:
          >
          >> Lasix works on fluid inside the lungs, but it's possible that Reynard is
          >> also accumulating fluid outside the lungs. Spironolactone (aka "spiro")
          >> is
          >> great for that and works well together with the lasix.
          >
          > So Lasix does not work on fluid outside the lungs? I'm curious if
          > anyone knows why that would be -- my understanding was that Lasix caused
          > the kidneys to pump out more water, so that there was less fluid in the
          > circulatory system, and as a result lower blood pressure, and as a
          > result the fluid didn't get pushed out of blood vessels and into body
          > cavities. I'm clearly missing some part of the process, because
          > according to that, Lasix would work both inside and outside the lungs --
          > anyone know?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jessica
          > (with a cat taking Lasix)

        • arhw2003
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
            I swear I'm going to find another group. I am always posting to a
            person and not the group. Anyhow, what I found is that lasix works to
            reduce any fluid accumulation anywhere in the body.

            http://www.medicinenet.com/furosemide/article.htm

            Alma