Vet visit tomorrow: Q's to ask?

  • arhw2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
      I last posted here:

      Since then Reynard rallied and until about 3 days ago had normal
      respiration, ate well, gained a little weight and acted for all the
      world as if nothing at all is wrong with him. He got all his energy
      back and has been very active. He is still happy, purring, pretty
      'normal' - except that his resp rate is up to 80. I'm taking him in
      tomorrow afternoon and would love to hear what you think I should ask
      - or what recommendations for treatment your vet may have suggested to
      you.

      Here's what he's taking every day:
      1) Lasix 1 1/2 12.5 mg tablets
      2) Enalapril 1 tab
      3) Pemobendan 1 tab
      4) Plavix 1/4 tab
      5) 500 mg taurine
      6) 60 mg CoQ10
      7) 2 capsules nattokinase
      8) @ 50 cc lactated ringers

      I was very concerned about the fluid in his right lung, so following
      that visit in August, I increased his lasix to 1 3/4 tablets and
      decreased the fluids to less than the 75 cc his cardiologist had
      recommended based on his weight. And I added the nattokinase. Within
      days he was like a new cat and I got my hopes up for spontaneous
      recovery. I know that's not likely, but things do happen.

      I look forward to any and all responses.

      Alma
    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2008
        Alma,

        Over time, they do start accumulating more fluid so it's typical that the
        medications need to be adjusted from time to time. By the end, my Pepper
        was taking three 20mg tablets of lasix daily along with 6.25mg spiro and her
        other meds.

        Lasix works on fluid inside the lungs, but it's possible that Reynard is
        also accumulating fluid outside the lungs. Spironolactone (aka "spiro") is
        great for that and works well together with the lasix.

        I'm also a bit concerned about giving him both natto and plavix together as
        they both thin the blood. Maybe someone else has a more informed opinion on
        this.

        Overall, it's probably just an adjustment in the meds. I wish you and
        Reynard all the best on your visit tomorrow!

        Sue & angel Pepper

        > Since then Reynard rallied and until about 3 days ago had normal
        > respiration, ate well, gained a little weight and acted for all the
        > world as if nothing at all is wrong with him. He got all his energy
        > back and has been very active. He is still happy, purring, pretty
        > 'normal' - except that his resp rate is up to 80. I'm taking him in
        > tomorrow afternoon and would love to hear what you think I should ask
        > - or what recommendations for treatment your vet may have suggested to
        > you.
        >
        > Here's what he's taking every day:
        > 1) Lasix 1 1/2 12.5 mg tablets
        > 2) Enalapril 1 tab
        > 3) Pemobendan 1 tab
        > 4) Plavix 1/4 tab
        > 5) 500 mg taurine
        > 6) 60 mg CoQ10
        > 7) 2 capsules nattokinase
        > 8) @ 50 cc lactated ringers
        >
        > I was very concerned about the fluid in his right lung, so following
        > that visit in August, I increased his lasix to 1 3/4 tablets and
        > decreased the fluids to less than the 75 cc his cardiologist had
        > recommended based on his weight. And I added the nattokinase. Within
        > days he was like a new cat and I got my hopes up for spontaneous
        > recovery. I know that's not likely, but things do happen.
        >
        > I look forward to any and all responses.
        >
        > Alma

      • Jessica Perry Hekman
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
          On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 12:18:26AM -0400, Sue B wrote:

          > Lasix works on fluid inside the lungs, but it's possible that Reynard is
          > also accumulating fluid outside the lungs. Spironolactone (aka "spiro") is
          > great for that and works well together with the lasix.

          So Lasix does not work on fluid outside the lungs? I'm curious if
          anyone knows why that would be -- my understanding was that Lasix caused
          the kidneys to pump out more water, so that there was less fluid in the
          circulatory system, and as a result lower blood pressure, and as a
          result the fluid didn't get pushed out of blood vessels and into body
          cavities. I'm clearly missing some part of the process, because
          according to that, Lasix would work both inside and outside the lungs --
          anyone know?

          Thanks,
          Jessica
          (with a cat taking Lasix)
        • Sue B
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
            Jessica,

            I don't know the bio-chemical reasons for why this is, but lasix works
            primarily on fluid inside the lungs. I'm sure it will help remove some
            fluid outside the lungs, but it doesn't do it well. That's where diuretics
            like spironolactone do best.

            Wish I could tell you more. All I know is that when my Pepper got fluid
            outside her lungs, the spiro made the difference.

            Sue & angel Pepper

            > On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 12:18:26AM -0400, Sue B wrote:
            >
            >> Lasix works on fluid inside the lungs, but it's possible that Reynard is
            >> also accumulating fluid outside the lungs. Spironolactone (aka "spiro")
            >> is
            >> great for that and works well together with the lasix.
            >
            > So Lasix does not work on fluid outside the lungs? I'm curious if
            > anyone knows why that would be -- my understanding was that Lasix caused
            > the kidneys to pump out more water, so that there was less fluid in the
            > circulatory system, and as a result lower blood pressure, and as a
            > result the fluid didn't get pushed out of blood vessels and into body
            > cavities. I'm clearly missing some part of the process, because
            > according to that, Lasix would work both inside and outside the lungs --
            > anyone know?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jessica
            > (with a cat taking Lasix)

          • arhw2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 9, 2008
              I swear I'm going to find another group. I am always posting to a
              person and not the group. Anyhow, what I found is that lasix works to
              reduce any fluid accumulation anywhere in the body.

              http://www.medicinenet.com/furosemide/article.htm

              Alma