Re: Mellie - urgent question

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
      Carol,

      Did you give her the dose today? If you did, it should kick in by the
      time you have to do the BP check. I don't think that missing one dose
      would make that big a difference if she's been on the drug for any
      length of time, but if you wanted to be extra sure, then I'd probaby
      wait another day.

      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • Bettina Schmolla
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
        Hi Carol,

        > It is 10:30am here and Mellie has an appt for a blood pressure check at
        > 11:30. When I was getting her to give her her morning atenolol, on the
        > floor next to her was last night's dose!
        >
        > Should I postpone the bp check to tomorrow? I'm concerned that the
        > missed dose will screw up the reading.....

        According to a friend, who must take atenolol herself, it lowers the blood
        pressure very fast. If my friend forgets to take her atenolol she feels
        her heart speed up within 30 - 60 minutes after she should have taken it,
        and as soon as the takes it, she feels the lowering of the blood pressure
        normally within 30 minutes.

        Therefore, if your Mellie's heart behaves like my friend's, the actual
        dosage of today should be the one that will influence her blood pressure
        in an hour. - But of course then, Mellie's heart needn't behave like my
        friend's ...

        Greetings
        Bettina and cats