Re: [FH] Mellie - urgent question

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
      Hi Carol,

      I think I would postpone it if you can. I do think the missed dose would
      cause Mellie's BP to read higher.

      Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

      On 9/3/08, Carol Yonov <czyonov@...> wrote:

      > It is 10:30am here and Mellie has an appt for a blood pressure check at
      > 11:30. When I was getting her to give her her morning atenolol, on the
      > floor next to her was last night's dose!
      >
      > Should I postpone the bp check to tomorrow? I'm concerned that the missed
      > dose will screw up the reading.....
      >
      > Carol and Mellie

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
        Carol,

        Did you give her the dose today? If you did, it should kick in by the
        time you have to do the BP check. I don't think that missing one dose
        would make that big a difference if she's been on the drug for any
        length of time, but if you wanted to be extra sure, then I'd probaby
        wait another day.

        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • Bettina Schmolla
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
          Hi Carol,

          > It is 10:30am here and Mellie has an appt for a blood pressure check at
          > 11:30. When I was getting her to give her her morning atenolol, on the
          > floor next to her was last night's dose!
          >
          > Should I postpone the bp check to tomorrow? I'm concerned that the
          > missed dose will screw up the reading.....

          According to a friend, who must take atenolol herself, it lowers the blood
          pressure very fast. If my friend forgets to take her atenolol she feels
          her heart speed up within 30 - 60 minutes after she should have taken it,
          and as soon as the takes it, she feels the lowering of the blood pressure
          normally within 30 minutes.

          Therefore, if your Mellie's heart behaves like my friend's, the actual
          dosage of today should be the one that will influence her blood pressure
          in an hour. - But of course then, Mellie's heart needn't behave like my
          friend's ...

          Greetings
          Bettina and cats