Mellie - urgent question

  • Carol Yonov
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
      It is 10:30am here and Mellie has an appt for a blood pressure check at 11:30. When I was getting her to give her her morning atenolol, on the floor next to her was last night's dose!

      Should I postpone the bp check to tomorrow? I'm concerned that the missed dose will screw up the reading.....

      Carol and Mellie

    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
        Hi Carol,

        I think I would postpone it if you can. I do think the missed dose would
        cause Mellie's BP to read higher.

        Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

        On 9/3/08, Carol Yonov <czyonov@...> wrote:

        > It is 10:30am here and Mellie has an appt for a blood pressure check at
        > 11:30. When I was getting her to give her her morning atenolol, on the
        > floor next to her was last night's dose!
        >
        > Should I postpone the bp check to tomorrow? I'm concerned that the missed
        > dose will screw up the reading.....
        >
        > Carol and Mellie

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
          Carol,

          Did you give her the dose today? If you did, it should kick in by the
          time you have to do the BP check. I don't think that missing one dose
          would make that big a difference if she's been on the drug for any
          length of time, but if you wanted to be extra sure, then I'd probaby
          wait another day.

          Carol and Snowball and the gang
        • Bettina Schmolla
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
            Hi Carol,

            > It is 10:30am here and Mellie has an appt for a blood pressure check at
            > 11:30. When I was getting her to give her her morning atenolol, on the
            > floor next to her was last night's dose!
            >
            > Should I postpone the bp check to tomorrow? I'm concerned that the
            > missed dose will screw up the reading.....

            According to a friend, who must take atenolol herself, it lowers the blood
            pressure very fast. If my friend forgets to take her atenolol she feels
            her heart speed up within 30 - 60 minutes after she should have taken it,
            and as soon as the takes it, she feels the lowering of the blood pressure
            normally within 30 minutes.

            Therefore, if your Mellie's heart behaves like my friend's, the actual
            dosage of today should be the one that will influence her blood pressure
            in an hour. - But of course then, Mellie's heart needn't behave like my
            friend's ...

            Greetings
            Bettina and cats