Re: Tapazole

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
      Hi Dee,

      As far as I know, and I've used the transdermal Tapazole for a long
      time on Snowball, the cream used that way doesn't usually cause any
      kind of stomach upset. Taking it internally, yes it does make them
      get nauseated and all that, but I've not heard from anyone that the
      transdermal cream did that.

      If it was me and my baby, especially what you've gone through in the
      past few months, (so sorry about your other kitties passings), I
      would adjust the dose of the Tapazole to get the thyroid back to
      normal, then address the heart issues. Hyperthyroid causes the
      heart, and other organs too, to work too hard. What they try to do
      with controlling the thyroid is to take the strain off the heart,
      and in that, possibly let the heart be "healthier" and pump more
      normally instead of it overworking itself.

      Just because she has HCM now, doesn't mean she can't live a fairly
      normal life for some time to come. My angel Sweetie was diagnosed
      with HCM and CHF and they told me she'd live a month, and she had a
      pretty good life for another year, so you never know. Nicki could
      live well and comfortably if you can get the thyroid under control.

      A T4 that high will make any cat feel horrible. I think if you can
      get it down, she'll start to feel much better, then you can address
      her other heart issues. With the right medications and giving some
      heart friendly supplements like taurine, CoQ10, DMG
      (dimethylglycine), and L-Carnitine, she could possibly get to
      feeling much better again. You're right, there's no cure for the
      thickening of the heart walls, but with the right treatments the
      heart can function in spite of it.

      Can you assist feed Nicki? Have you tried that already? When our
      angel Chris wouldn't eat at all, I syringe fed him for a month and
      then he started eating on his own again. Sometimes you just have to
      get the food into them and get them to "remember" what it's like to
      eat and feel better from eating.

      I think I'd really try to get the T4 down first before you decide
      anything else, and I'd do that with the Tapazole, not the surgery.

      hugs,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
        Hi

        Sorry, I posted my first reply before I read this one :) There is an
        alternative drug to Felimazole.. it's an older one which was used several years ago
        and I can't remember the name, but Arnold was going to go on should the
        Felimazole not work, but it turned out it was a tumour he had at the end.

        Maybe you could try that. I`ve used it in the past (15 years ago) with
        success.. just wish I could remember the name. Your vet could prescribe it off
        licence.

        Lyn

        www.furkids-uk.com

      • moonpye
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
          Hi Lyn,

          Are you thinking of Carbimazole?

          "Carbimazole is a pro-drug that is converted to methimazole in the body. A
          recent study of the efficacy and safety of carbimazole in the treatment of
          hyperthyroidism in cats suggests that it may be associated with less adverse
          effects than methimazole. In that report, only 4% of cats developed
          hematologic abnormalities (lymphocytosis and leukopenia). These
          abnormalities were very mild and cessation of carbimazole therapy was not
          necessary.

          Carbimazole is not available commercially in the United States due to a
          marketing agreement with Lilly (Tapazole). However, carbimazole is available
          through compounding pharmacies."

          http://maxshouse.com/Hyperthyroidism_in_Cats.htm

          Candace

          On 9/3/08, elfinmyst@... <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Sorry, I posted my first reply before I read this one :) There is an
          > alternative drug to Felimazole.. it's an older one which was used several
          > years ago
          > and I can't remember the name, but Arnold was going to go on should the
          > Felimazole not work, but it turned out it was a tumour he had at the end.
          >
          > Maybe you could try that. I`ve used it in the past (15 years ago) with
          > success.. just wish I could remember the name. Your vet could prescribe it
          > off
          > licence.
          >
          > Lyn
          >
          > www.furkids-uk.com

        • moonpye
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
            Hi Dee,

            Carol is right, the transdermal ear cream bypasses the stomach so it lessens
            the GI effects such as nausea. I agree with Carol, I would put Nicki back
            on a very low dose of the methimazole. You could start with 1.25mg one time
            a day.

            Candace