Tapazole

  • fathermurray
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      Moonpye,thank you for your reply.Nicki was on the transdermal tapazole
      but the vet who recommended surgery said to take her off of it because
      it might be makeing her sick to her stomach and causing the poor
      appetite. I am so confused. Over the years I have had several
      hyperthyroid cats. The majority of them just had the surgery and did
      fine. I can understand how getting the T4 down would help to slow down
      her heart rate but if the heart walls are thickened and this is
      causing the respiratory difficulty, how would the surgery help? I do
      not think that it could reverse any cardiac damage already done,could
      it? I do not want to make her go through an operation and then die
      anyways. On the other hand, I want to do anything possible. Dee and
      Nicki
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
        Hi Dee,

        As far as I know, and I've used the transdermal Tapazole for a long
        time on Snowball, the cream used that way doesn't usually cause any
        kind of stomach upset. Taking it internally, yes it does make them
        get nauseated and all that, but I've not heard from anyone that the
        transdermal cream did that.

        If it was me and my baby, especially what you've gone through in the
        past few months, (so sorry about your other kitties passings), I
        would adjust the dose of the Tapazole to get the thyroid back to
        normal, then address the heart issues. Hyperthyroid causes the
        heart, and other organs too, to work too hard. What they try to do
        with controlling the thyroid is to take the strain off the heart,
        and in that, possibly let the heart be "healthier" and pump more
        normally instead of it overworking itself.

        Just because she has HCM now, doesn't mean she can't live a fairly
        normal life for some time to come. My angel Sweetie was diagnosed
        with HCM and CHF and they told me she'd live a month, and she had a
        pretty good life for another year, so you never know. Nicki could
        live well and comfortably if you can get the thyroid under control.

        A T4 that high will make any cat feel horrible. I think if you can
        get it down, she'll start to feel much better, then you can address
        her other heart issues. With the right medications and giving some
        heart friendly supplements like taurine, CoQ10, DMG
        (dimethylglycine), and L-Carnitine, she could possibly get to
        feeling much better again. You're right, there's no cure for the
        thickening of the heart walls, but with the right treatments the
        heart can function in spite of it.

        Can you assist feed Nicki? Have you tried that already? When our
        angel Chris wouldn't eat at all, I syringe fed him for a month and
        then he started eating on his own again. Sometimes you just have to
        get the food into them and get them to "remember" what it's like to
        eat and feel better from eating.

        I think I'd really try to get the T4 down first before you decide
        anything else, and I'd do that with the Tapazole, not the surgery.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
          Hi

          Sorry, I posted my first reply before I read this one :) There is an
          alternative drug to Felimazole.. it's an older one which was used several years ago
          and I can't remember the name, but Arnold was going to go on should the
          Felimazole not work, but it turned out it was a tumour he had at the end.

          Maybe you could try that. I`ve used it in the past (15 years ago) with
          success.. just wish I could remember the name. Your vet could prescribe it off
          licence.

          Lyn

          www.furkids-uk.com

        • moonpye
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
            Hi Lyn,

            Are you thinking of Carbimazole?

            "Carbimazole is a pro-drug that is converted to methimazole in the body. A
            recent study of the efficacy and safety of carbimazole in the treatment of
            hyperthyroidism in cats suggests that it may be associated with less adverse
            effects than methimazole. In that report, only 4% of cats developed
            hematologic abnormalities (lymphocytosis and leukopenia). These
            abnormalities were very mild and cessation of carbimazole therapy was not
            necessary.

            Carbimazole is not available commercially in the United States due to a
            marketing agreement with Lilly (Tapazole). However, carbimazole is available
            through compounding pharmacies."

            http://maxshouse.com/Hyperthyroidism_in_Cats.htm

            Candace

            On 9/3/08, elfinmyst@... <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > Sorry, I posted my first reply before I read this one :) There is an
            > alternative drug to Felimazole.. it's an older one which was used several
            > years ago
            > and I can't remember the name, but Arnold was going to go on should the
            > Felimazole not work, but it turned out it was a tumour he had at the end.
            >
            > Maybe you could try that. I`ve used it in the past (15 years ago) with
            > success.. just wish I could remember the name. Your vet could prescribe it
            > off
            > licence.
            >
            > Lyn
            >
            > www.furkids-uk.com

          • moonpye
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
              Hi Dee,

              Carol is right, the transdermal ear cream bypasses the stomach so it lessens
              the GI effects such as nausea. I agree with Carol, I would put Nicki back
              on a very low dose of the methimazole. You could start with 1.25mg one time
              a day.

              Candace