HCM with hyperthyroidism

  • fathermurray
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hi-my name is Dee-I have a 14 year old female DLH who was just
      diagnosed with HCM. I have taken her to 2 different vets and gotton 2
      completely opposite opinions. Nicki is down to three lbs from a high
      of about nine in her young years. Her T4 is 8. Her appetite is very
      poor. The first vet recommended euthanasia due to her age and poor
      condition. The second vet recommends a thyroidectomy. I really am not
      sure how having her thyroid removed would help her HCM. She is
      somewhat pale and a little cyanotic (blue). I am agonizing over
      whether to just let her go peacefully or to give the surgery a
      try. Please, any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. I do
      not think that she has much time left. I have lost 2 of my other
      geriatric cats to cancer in the last three months and I am still
      heartbroken over them. I do not want to make the wrong decision for my
      poor Nicki. Thank you Dee and Nicki
    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Dee and Nicki, I am glad you found us!

        Nicki can go on Tapazole (brand name), Methimazole (generic name). You can
        get pills, transdermal ear cream or compounded flavored liquid. Her
        hyperthyroidism must be treated asap. She does not need to have the
        surgery. Her HCM may be caused by the hyperthyroidism.

        Please see another vet and get her on methimazole (Tapazole) asap!

        Please join the HyperT group.
        Here is the link, they can help.

        **
        http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/

        Best wishes to you and Nicki,
        Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2008
          Hello Dee

          I am sorry to hear of Nicki's problems. My cat, Arnold, was diagnosed with
          hyper thyroid at around 14 and he had the operation to remove half of it.
          Unfortunately he did suffer a stroke after surgery, but he did mostly recover.
          Two years later the other side of th thyroid went and hewent onto a drug called
          Felimazole. He died of a tumour about a month ago, aged 19! And the
          Felimazole controlled him all the way through.

          I think you need to get on top of the thyroid immediately, either with drugs
          or surgery (which is always risky). HCM can be secondary to thyroid
          problems, so controlling that might help the heart.

          Good luck

          Lyn :)

          www.furkids-uk.com