Intro from Mary

  • mary
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hi everyone,

      I am the catmom of three beautiful cats; one of whom, Popper (age 7),
      was diagnosed with Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy in May of this
      year.

      He has been doing well on his medications until yesterday (Monday),
      when he threw a blood clot to his right front paw. I just brought
      him home from the vet this afternoon. Popper is taking Atenolol,
      Diltiazem and Enalapril by mouth once per day, and Lasix every other
      day. He takes a baby aspirin every third day. Today they added
      Lovenox, which is a very expensive injectible drug. The doctor is
      hoping to prevent any further clotting.

      Popper can't walk on his bad leg (though he tries valiantly!) The
      vet wants to give him a couple of weeks to see if his leg comes
      back. It tears me up to see him like this, but he is such a
      wonderful cat that I don't want to make a hasty decision.

      I know that many of you have been where I am, and it is comforting to
      know that there is a group online. Any words of wisdom, ideas,
      encouragement, etc. would be most welcome.

      Mary
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
        hi Mary,

        Our angel Chris threw a clot to his rear leg and couldn't walk on it
        at all. He'd drag it behind him, it was awful to see him that way.
        I wrote to the group and many of them told me about giving certain
        supplements (CoQ10, DMG, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Nattokinase).

        I would probably start him on CoQ10 and DMG. CoQ10 supports heart
        muscle function. Here's a link to a great bit of info about CoQ10
        from the archives, posted by Victoria (a member back in 2001)

        DMG is supposed to also help with oxygen delivery to the heart.
        http://www.accentonpethealthcare.com/immunoliq.html
        "DMG supplementation supports circulation and cardiovascular
        fucntion. DMG enhances oxygen delivery to the heart and improves
        several characteristics of the blood, including cholesterol and
        triglyceride levels maintained within normal ranges."

        Here's another bit from this site:
        http://www.wellvet.com/biocardio.html
        "DMG will strengthen the heart through a process called
        transmethylation. It will increase the available energy to help the
        heart muscles contract."

        Many of us give these to our heart kitties. The CoQ10 you can start
        with 30mg once a day, see how he does on it and increase it to twice
        a day after a week or so. I give Snowball 30mg twice a day. The DMG
        comes in individually wrapped foils, 125mg each. I give Snowball 1/2
        of the tablet twice a day. Cut it with a razor blade (they crumble
        sometimes - it's a tiny pill), and put the second half back in the
        foil and wrap it up good and keep it in the fridge. Light and air
        makes the tablets melt.

        Some of us give our guys taurine and L-carnitine too. A supplement
        called Cardio Strength by VetriScience
        http://www.vetriscience.com/cardio-strength.php is a combination of
        things to support the heart. This has some of the other supplements
        above, so if you use this one, don't give as much of the others
        separately.

        Nattokinase 50 to 72mg/day - Nattokinase is an enzyme that helps
        disolve and prevent blood clots. Usually people give this
        supplement to their cats after they've had an episode of having
        thrown a clot. First the vet will put them on a blood thinner like
        Heparin (that's the medication often prescribed for clots), then
        after the course of Heparin, that's when many will give Nattokinase
        or aspirin. The difference between Natto and the drug Heparin is
        that the Heparin just breaks up the clot, thins the blood, where
        Natto actually digests the clot.

        You don't give Natto at the same time as any other blood thinner
        type drug (aspirin or heparin), since they all have the same actions
        as blood thinners. There are many brands. Just make sure you buy one
        that has the vitamin K removed. Vitamin K helps blood clot, that's
        what you don't want for a heart kitty. NattoZyme by Nutricology and
        Doctor's Best nattokinase are two that have the Vit K removed.
        http://www.organic-pharmacy.com/Nutricology/Nattozyme.htm
        http://organicpharmacy.org/products/Nattokinase/SKU:DRB125

        Some kitties do really well after taking the supplements for a while.
        We saw improvement in our angel Chris within two weeks of starting
        them for him. Within 3 weeks he was walking on his leg.

        I think I'd talk to your vet about heart meds sooner than waiting for
        a week or so. Could be that boo boos may need something now.

        Did you see a cardiologist or just your regular vet? If you haven't
        seen a cardiologist I would probably try to see one again now.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • mary
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi Carol and Judi,

          Thank you for the welcome and the great info re. supplements. The
          vet that Popper is seeing is an internist who has a lot of experience
          with feline cardiology. She is very smart and competent but has not
          mentioned anything about supplements.

          She did increase Popper's Diltiazam dose from 30 to 60mg per day.

          I am learning a lot from reading the archives of this group. I am so
          glad that I found you all!

          Big hugs to you and your kitties and your angel kitties,

          Mary

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolroars@...> wrote:

> [...]
          one
          > that has the vitamin K removed. Vitamin K helps blood clot, that's
          > what you don't want for a heart kitty. NattoZyme by Nutricology and
          > Doctor's Best nattokinase are two that have the Vit K removed.
          > http://www.organic-pharmacy.com/Nutricology/Nattozyme.htm
          > http://organicpharmacy.org/products/Nattokinase/SKU:DRB125
          >
          > Some kitties do really well after taking the supplements for a
          while.
          > We saw improvement in our angel Chris within two weeks of starting
          > them for him. Within 3 weeks he was walking on his leg.
          >
          > I think I'd talk to your vet about heart meds sooner than waiting
          for
          > a week or so. Could be that boo boos may need something now.
          >
          > Did you see a cardiologist or just your regular vet? If you haven't
          > seen a cardiologist I would probably try to see one again now.

        • Nichole
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2008
            Hi everyone,
            My name is Nichole and I'm the mom of Moto and his 4 kitty siblings.
            Moto came in as a stray through a rescue group I volunteer with after
            falling into a container of motor oil (hence the name Moto) in the
            factory he used to call home. That was in 2004 and he was estimated
            to be around 2 years old. So he is now around 6 years. Hes a very
            handsome DLH black big boy!

            We discovered early hypertrophic cardiomyopathy after an
            echocardiogram I requested after losing my dog to CHF. No treatment
            was recommended at the time by the cardiologist. Months later a heart
            murmur was detected (2/6). Then over the next couple of months his
            heart murmur went up to a 3/6. We followed up about 9 months from
            his first echo and discovered his condition was progressing, he was
            placed on Atenolol 6.25 mg BID to start for his elevated HR and an
            obstruction was present when his HR elevated, I believe he also had
            regurgitation. When the Atenolol 6.25 mg wasn't reducing his HR to a
            more acceptable level we increased Atenolol to 12.5 mg BID, this was
            too high of a dose for him, he experienced lethargy. So I reduced it
            down to 12.5 mg in am and 6.25 mg in pm, and this dose has kept him
            well controlled. I don't have the cardiologist or vet notes in front
            of me so this time line may be a bit off... I believe that takes us
            to recently in July/August 2008, he had a follow up echo and things
            looked stable, his obstruction was no longer present because his HR
            continued to be controlled. Even when stressed out during the echo
            his HR only went up to 140 or there about. The cardiologist said he
            doesn't need to be seen for another 9-12 months.

            Moto has been on a diet for several months now because he is
            overweight, I know not a good thing for a heart kitty :( He has
            monthly weigh ins and is down to 16.5 pounds, he's lost 2 pounds
            since February!

            I am interested in learning about additional supplements that may
            benefit Moto. He is among one of my special needs kitties, so they
            all keep me nice and busy!

            I look forward to meeting all of you and your kitties.

            Thanks,
            Nichole and Moto
          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
              Hello Nicole

              I am sorry to hear about Moto, and he sounds a special boy indeed! The
              atenolol also keeps my boy's HCM in check as well and he's doing well on it. I
              also give Cardiostrength (Cardio S in the UK) and that's a wonderful supplement.
              I use salmon oil with one of the girls and that seems to help her.

              Lyn :)