Nikko - clotting factor - Need advice

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2008
      Hi,
      I have been a member of the group for over 2 years since my 14 year
      old Nikko was diagnosed with HCM. His Mother Meka died of renal
      failure and fluid overload after being mis-diagnosed in July of 2006.
      I got Nikko a complete physical at a speciality hospital with
      ultasounds and everything to make sure he was healthy and that's when
      they found the HCM. He been on medication and supplements since.

      I just lost his sister Dancer 2 weeks ago to a GI bleed and Lymphoma.

      Nikko is having diarrhea and vomiting. He has IBD so he does vomit
      but he has been vomiting more lately. He is also drinking a lot. I
      just took him in for a blood test on Thursday and I had the hardest
      time getting the results of the blood test but I finally got them.

      His white cell count is up so they gave him Clavamax. His BUN,
      creatinine and glucose are normal. They repeated his blood test today
      because his clotting factor was off and they weren't sure if it was a
      lab error because he had not other signs or symptoms.

      Does anyone know what that means if it is off. I am in the medical
      field but that is not something I normally deal with. What would
      cause it to be off? They said they usually see on cats who have got
      into rat poison which he hasn't because he is only indoors. Is there
      something that he could have eaten like bad food because some of my
      other cats also have diarrhea also.

      If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it.

      Thanks
      Linda and Nikko missing Meka, Stichie, Dancer
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2008
        hi Linda,

        I'm so sorry for your losses in your kitty family, especially Dancer
        just two weeks ago.

        About Nikko's clotting factors...there are several things that can
        cause abnormal clotting factors, the most common are some kind of
        liver disease or cancer. Here's a link to the PetPlace site that has
        many pages of articles about clotting factors/blood disorders. If
        you click on the 'next' at the bottom of the page it will take you
        to the next set of articles.

        http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?q=clotting+factors&c=0&p=5&sppc=0
        or http://tinyurl.com/56jocs

        If you think they all ate some bad food, I'd stop feeding them all
        whatever it is you're feeding and buy some new food. Check the codes
        on the cans or bags and make sure you buy a different batch than the
        one you have at home.

        I hope Nikko feels better soon.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • MekaNoel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
          Hi Carol,
          Thanks for the information and the link. ?I will look into that. I really hope it's just a lab error but I do want to read up on?it in case it isn't an error.

          Thanks again,
          Linda and Nikko missing Meka, Stichie, Dancer