wondering about lasix dosage.

  • dbianca23
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2008
      it's been 2 wks since boo-boos' heart failure and initial diagnosis of hcm. he came home
      taking 1/2 of a 20 mg lasix every 12 hrs. because he wasn't eating well the cardio said to do
      only a 1/2 tab every day (only 10 mg per day). i took him to his regular vet for a tube feeding
      and he started cypro and a new fancy feast diet, now he's up to 5 or so cans a day - great! he
      went back to the cardio this past wed, his blood work looked good and he started enalapril.
      now last night before i went to bed i noticed he was breathing fast, so i gave him a 1/2 lasix.
      he's still breathing pretty rapid, so i think i'm going to give him the 1/2 a tab every 8-12 hrs.
      i'm sure i'll call the card about this as well, but i'm just wondering how this sounds to you
      guys? isn't the 10 mg lasix daily a really small amount? is there a way to gauge his breathing
      by counting his respirations? i've counted 50 per minute. i *really* need to avoid him going
      back in with full lungs. we paid $3000. just 2 weeks ago and a trip back in will be another
      $2000. - we absolutely can't do that. i've discussed this with our primary vet and we came to
      the conclusion that if he fills up with fluid again that i'd be bringing him in to be put down.
      i'd really love to be able to manage this at home.
    • jessiesrags
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2008
        My Dexter was originally on 1/4 tablet every 12 hours, but that didn't
        work at all for him. The vet pushed him up to 1/2 every 12 hours which
        only actually started working on removing a small amount fluid, for
        about a week before the coughing started again. So he was pushed up
        again to a whole tablet once a day then 1/2 12 hours later, which
        actually started working and he stopped coughing. As long as he was
        eating and drinking the vet said it was fine because it removed the
        fluid and stopped the constant coughing. Whenever he goes through a
        bad patch of not eating or drinking I take him off Lasix completely
        until I know he's drinking regularly again. He actually started to
        gain weight again on more lasix since the coughing stopped.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "dbianca23" <DBIANCA23@...> wrote:

        > it's been 2 wks since boo-boos' heart failure and initial diagnosis
        of hcm. he came home
        > taking 1/2 of a 20 mg lasix every 12 hrs. because he wasn't eating
        well the cardio said to do
        > only a 1/2 tab every day (only 10 mg per day). i took him to his
        regular vet for a tube feeding
        > and he started cypro and a new fancy feast diet, now he's up to 5 or
        so cans a day - great! he
        > went back to the cardio this past wed, his blood work looked good
        and he started enalapril.
        > now last night before i went to bed i noticed he was breathing fast,
        so i gave him a 1/2 lasix.
        > he's still breathing pretty rapid, so i think i'm going to give him
        the 1/2 a tab every 8-12 hrs.
        > i'm sure i'll call the card about this as well, but i'm just
        wondering how this sounds to you
        > guys? isn't the 10 mg lasix daily a really small amount? is there a
        way to gauge his breathing
        > by counting his respirations? i've counted 50 per minute. i *really*
        need to avoid him going
        > back in with full lungs. we paid $3000. just 2 weeks ago and a trip
        back in will be another
        > $2000. - we absolutely can't do that. i've discussed this with our
        primary vet and we came to
        > the conclusion that if he fills up with fluid again that i'd be
        bringing him in to be put down.
        > i'd really love to be able to manage this at home.

      • tabbyandpeachy
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2008
          Hi not sure if i have replied to you before but, does Boo Boo have
          chyl? Have fluids been removed from his lungs? if so where the fluids
          white thick sometimes bloody tinge?

          What I give Tabby for fluids is 12.5 lasix split 2x a day, also Rutin
          500 mg 2x daily, Rutin (found at health food store or online) closes
          up the leaky cells that cause the chyl fluids on the lungs. this has
          kept Tabby fluid free since he was diagnosed and at deaths door 3
          months ago. If he does cough during the day in between I will give an
          extra 1/2 lasix.

          50 breaths per minute is fast idealy around 30 is good. Not sure
          where you live but, if it is still hot and humid as it is here try to
          keep him in a cool dry place as the heat/humidity is not very good
          for them.

          That is great to hear he has such a great appetite!

          Hope Boo Boo is feeling better
          any questions please fell free to email me
          Patty

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
            thanks, i'll pick up some rutin. he didn't have a chest tap, just lasix, not sure why they
            didn't do it because he had a mass of fluid outside the lungs as well. the lasix 2x a day is
            working pretty good though, i think i'll stick with that - it doesn't seem to affect his
            appetite at all. i should probably try to get him back to his reg food, he's eating at least 6
            cans of fancy feast a day! glad to know the breaths per minute now. it has been really hot
            and humid here the past few days, so i'll try to keep him closer to the a/c. he likes to have
            his bed by the back door because we're outside with the kids all day.