Re: [FH] Hi everyone!

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2008
      Hi Sandy and Boo,

      Welcome to the group, we are glad you found us. I hope your vet took Boo's
      blood pressure and started her on Norvasac (amlodipine), this can help the
      retinas reattach but it must be started right away.

      From:http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#control_of_blood_pressure
      "Even if your cat's retinas detach because of high blood pressure, if
      treatment with Norvasc is started quickly enough (usually within three days
      of detachment), there is an approximately 50:50 chance of the retinas
      re-attaching and your cat regaining some sight. Even if you do not start
      Norvasc immediately, there is still hope"

      Best to you and Boo,
      Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

      On 8/29/08, la_tejana180 <la_tejana180@...> wrote:

      > My name is Sandy and I joined this group to get information for my 3
      > year old baby, Boo. Monday of this week I had noticed that she was
      > acting scared to jump on or off the couch and bumping into things
      > around the house. I wasn't too alarmed then but Wednesday it seemed
      > worse. She was walking straight into furniture and walls. Other than
      > that everything else was perfectly normal. Her eating and litterbox
      > habits were normal, her daily activites were normal, I mean everything
      > seems fine with her other than the sudden blindness. I am a nurse so
      > when it dawned on me 'could she be blind' I examined her and sure
      > enough completely blind in both eyes. Her pupils are dilated and rarely
      > react to light. I took her to the vet yesterday and he examined her and
      > said that it looked like detatched retinas probably caused by
      > hypertension secondary to HCM. He wants to consult an opthamalogist
      > first. I am waiting for him to call me now. The waiting is killing me
      > though. She seems to be so healthy. Does anybody have any advice, or
      > kind words...?

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2008
        Hi Sandy,

        I'm sorry to hear about Boo! I definitely agree with Candace to get
        him on Norvasc (Amlodipine) as soon as possible. I'd get him to
        someone today if you can. Every minute counts. My angel Sweetie had
        the same thing happen to her and we started the Norvasc and she got
        most of her sight back in one eye and all of it in the other.

        Here's more info about the drug itself.
        http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_amlodipine_besylate.html or
        http://tinyurl.com/5zlbup

        http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=31&A=1215&S=0 or
        http://tinyurl.com/5zo36m

        Here's info about hypertension (high blood pressure).
        http://www.lbah.com/feline/hypertension.htm

        I hope Boo responds to the medication. We'll be sending good
        thoughts.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • Gina Fayne
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2008
          I am so ssorry that this happened to Boo.  I had never heard about this problem.  I am simply amazed to read that reattachment is a possibility. I hope this is the case with your girl.