causes of labored breathing?

  • gran_patti
    Message 1 of 4 , May 17, 2000
      Hello all, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about what else could cause Lilli's breathing to look a little bit labored and make it hard for her to recover from bm without taking about l0 deep breaths? I took her to the vet and they x-rayed and said definitely "no fluid in lungs or any pleural effusion" So I am stumped and very worried. Could anemia make her look labored? Could having high potassium make breathing a bit labored? Could high taurine cause breathing to be more effortful? I have had to raise her lasix in response to this apparent breathing problem, but since there is no evidence of fluid in chest or lungs, maybe I don't need to increase her lasix, but eliminate some one of those other things. Also I have been wondering if elevated any of those blood values, e.g. calcium (hypo or hyper calcemia) Phosphorous, or any of those others cause her to breath harder to get rid of things? I don't have current values for any of these values, her last were drawn 6 weeks ago, and everything was okay. I had to start Potassium, to get her into center of normal and that's where it was 6 weeks ago, could it have gone too high? You can see I am thinking around and around in circles. For all the lasix she is getting her gums and tongue could be a little pinker, so I wonder, ---- anemic?Uncomfortable recollection just crosses my mind, she ate some of her clay litter just as this bout was starting, and has begun licking the porch floor again. Not like in the beginning but she did do it. She eats, plays and in every way seems fine. Maybe I have obsessed myself into hallucinations, maybe I can't distinguish labored breathing from non because I watch her so much I may be going breathing blind. Any thoughts- Any one? Our best wishes to you all in all the various stages of our ongoing vigils for our babies. Patti and Lilli

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , May 17, 2000

        My guess is that you're not hallucinating but are seeing something. Whether
        that behavior indicates a problem, however, is another matter.

        BTW: by "bm" I presume you meand "defecate"?

        Does she appear to be having any trouble using the box? Maybe she's
        straining? COuld she be in any discomfort while doing this? Straining
        could cause hard breathing.

        Does your vet have any ideas?

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Lynx
        Message 3 of 4 , May 17, 2000
          In a message dated 5/17/2000 8:10:11 PM Central Daylight Time, jr40@...
          writes:

          << Hello all, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about what else
          > could cause Lilli's breathing to look a little bit labored and
          > make it hard for her to recover from bm without taking about l0
          > deep breaths? I took her to the vet and they x-rayed and said
          > definitely "no fluid in lungs or any pleural effusion" So I am
          > stumped and very worried. Could anemia make her look labored?
          > . >>

          Yoda had a difficult time with BM's, especially if he had diarrhea or
          constipation. He would have some labored breathing and lay beside the litter
          box for a few minutes to get his strength back. We ended up putting him on
          Lactalose to keep his stools softer, but had to be careful not to get too
          much or he would get diarrhea.

          With heart disease bowel movements can take quite a bit of effort. If Lilli
          recovers quickly that is probably all that it is. Assuming there is no open
          mouth breathing and your vet has seen no pleural effusion. Also, anemia, if
          present, would mean there is less oxygen in the blood and the effort of a BM
          could cause some labored breathing for a brief period of time.

          I know what you mean about watching every breath. I got pretty good at
          judging the breathing and counting respirations. I also learned to watch
          carefully when he had BM's.

          Lasix can dehydate, which would make BM's harder which could make them more
          difficult to push out. Do you know how to check for dehydration?

          Just some ideas. The good news is that her lungs are clear by x-ray.

          Jo and the brown boys, Loki and angel Yoda
        • Miguel &Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 4 , May 19, 2000
            Does she have a selenium deficiency? It's a stretch but....there is a tribal group in Africa that eats dirt/mud to obtain selenium and Lilli eating her clay litter made me think of that. I don't even know what selenium contributes in the vitamin chain. Just my thought.