Dandelion LEAVES!!!

  • fredsus1@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2001
      I just emailed Mary Wulff-Tilford about trying to use Dandelion
      instead lasix in my Jerkie who has cardiomyopathy/congestive heart
      failure and I told her I bought some dandelion root tincture and she
      said it is dandelion LEAVES that were proven in the study to be as
      effective as lasix...doggone it! Here I was giving him a capful of
      the tincture of dandelion root. She said root was for liver problems
      and the problem with using dandelion leaves is trying to get enough
      of it in the *cat* to be effective as a diurectic <sigh>.

      I also questioned her extensively about Hawthorn in cats with
      cardiomyopathy and she said "the debate with hawthorn, is from the
      scientific/reductionistic vets, who
      believe that it shouldn't be used in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
      because
      hawthorn "strengthens" the heartbeat.......
      I believe it is totally safe for any heart problem....it's been used
      for
      hundreds of years without problems"

      So...anyone will real experience on dandelion and amounts for
      diuretic PLEASE help me out here? I do NOT want to become invasive
      with Jerkie..he has enough popping into his mouth but I really don't
      want to have to rely on lasix for the long haul.........and that
      eternal question.....to give subq's now or not......I can't guage
      whether he's dehydrated or not and there hasn't been enough time for
      the enapranil to kick in.

      Thanks

      Susie and the Bums (Jerkie, Goofey, Cakie and Libby)
      Snohomish, Wa
    • ne woods
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2001
        Why dont you use the herb rutin instead..it will help prevent fluid on
        lungs but not on stomach

      • fredsus1@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
          I have heard about rutin being used, thanks for reminding me!

          One question...is it just rutin that is being used or would a complex
          of bioflavinoids such as quercitin, hesperidin, etc working in
          conjunction be more effective? Anyone?

          Susie and the Bums

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Anyes Moscrip
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
            fredsus1@... wrote:

            > So...anyone will real experience on dandelion and amounts for
            > diuretic PLEASE help me out here? I do NOT want to become invasive
            > with Jerkie..he has enough popping into his mouth but I really don't
            > want to have to rely on lasix for the long haul.........and that
            > eternal question.....to give subq's now or not......I can't guage
            > whether he's dehydrated or not and there hasn't been enough time for
            > the enapranil to kick in.

            I used Dandelion extract (glycerin based) for 6 months with great results,
            instead of lasix. My kitty had very advanced crf and moderate hcm. She got
            fluid build up from the subq's and could not process fluids without her
            heart medications. I gave her the dandelion extract twice a day and up to 4
            times when she had initial signs of fluid build up. For 6 months, this
            worked to prevent/stop fluid build up and we avoided ER trips. The dandelion
            was a whole plant extract.

            I hope this helps,
            Anyes and the girls
          • mukki2@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 20 5:36 PM
              How do those of you who have used rutin administered it? The pills I
              found were HUGE. When I ground them up and put them in wet food, my
              cat completely refused to eat it.

            • Malapoo2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 21 10:58 AM
                My tablets are large, but I only give a SMALL quarter twice daily & just poke
                it down his throat with a chaser of syringed baby food (no onion)

                Kaye & Bean
                Advance NC