[FH] Re: Scooter Saturday

  • diane
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2 8:14 PM
      Hi Patty,

      He is not open mouthed breathing (the vet said he was but I didn't
      even see it here at home, obviously he was very stressed there). His
      breathing is just quicker than I'd think is normal. With him and his
      siblings being so unobtrusive in the house, things like this tend to
      escape my attention.

      The vet did not suggest Rutin, do most of you start this on your own?

      I did turn the ac on but he picked that time to hide in the basement.
      A storm moved through and dropped the temps. I have a dehumidifier on
      all the time in the basement and it's cooler there anyway.

      I've tried a number of canned foods and pouches and he has absolutely
      no interest, even if I put it on his teeth. Trying to stuff it in his
      mouth does not make him too happy. A couple of the other cats are
      thrilled at the new food selections however!

      He is still moving around (after the stint in the basement) but quite
      slowly and he stops to rest often. He moved to the window and didn't
      look too bad sitting there. He's back in the basement on his side now
      though. :(

      Diane

      At 2:48 AM +0000 8/3/08, tabbyandpeachy wrote:
      >Diane,
      >My Tabby had severe fluid on the lungs a couple of months ago
      >and we thought there was no hope for him he was given about 2 days to
      >live until.... (if this is your kittys problem)we started him on
      >Rutin 500 mg 2x daily this can be found at a health foodstore or
      >online within a few days he was doing much much better, his breathing
      >went from 60 per min to 40 and now is down to about 30. Rutin saved
      >his life! He also gets 12.5 lasix split
      >2x daily but, when he was severe it was a whole one twice daily.
      >
      >If there is any open mouth breathing or panting this is an emergency
      >and needs to be seen immediately.
      >
      >Also if at all possible is there anyway to get him to a place that
      >has air conditioning? Or maybe get a dehumidifier? this also may help
      >his breathing.
      >
      >I know alot of people give there cats fancy feast or baby food
      >(WITHOUT onion or garlic) as i think its very tasty to them.
      >Tabby loves both I usually give it to him with his meds
      >

      >Good luck with you kitty
      >Lots of kitty ((hugs)) and purrayers Patty and Tabby
    • tabbyandpeachy
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 9:33 PM
        Diane
        If you type in chylothorax rutin cat or feline in google you should
        get a few things to read up on. I am not sure about everyone else but,
        at the point Tabby was at my vets and I decided it couldn't hurt
        She did some quick research and said lets give it try.
        I was very strict about it every 12 hours 500 mg plus the lasix.
        (some people give it 3x daily 250MG but Tabby was very severe
        so we went full force)Just lasix was not helping him
        I also was very strict on his activities/stress. I confined him to 1
        room and no jumping when i thought he was getting to active i
        would put him in time out (a cage) for a little bit.
        2 weeks to the day later xrays showed his lungs where completely
        clear.
        Also look at his gums make sure they are pink not grey or blue
        looking if they are he is not getting enough oxygen this is
        also an emergency.
        I do not know how bad scooter is but i was willing to try anything
        and have read many success stories about rutin.
        (GNC may also carry rutin mine does not)

        I don't know if you have scooter on any heart meds/blood thinner
        I at first did not and as result tabby 2 weeks and 1 day
        later threw a clot. He is now on aspirin, coq10, taurine, and as soon
        as i receive it in the mail he will get nattokinase instead of
        aspirin for blood clots.
        All the meds that i give Tabby are pretty reasonable, the
        Nattokinase is probably the most expensive $27 for 90 capsules
        Rutin at the health food store is about $8 for 60 tablets

        Does scooter like lunch meat? Or maybe boiled chicken?
        maybe tuna fish just becareful with fish because of urinary infection
        but he needs to eat, so anything at this point.
        Make sure he is not dehydrated you can check by if his gums are
        sticky or if you pull up on his skin by the neck area
        and it stays like a tent, it does not go down quickly.
        you can compare with your healthy cats.
        You might find more information about foods on the whole health
        cat group http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WholeCatHealth/
        people are pretty quick to respond on there usually

        I am new at all this and still learning from everyone on here
        Hope this helps you, give a big kiss to scooter
        and tell him he is a good boy but he needs to be grounded for a
        little while :)

        Patty

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3 5:02 AM
          Just a note, Scooter is semi-feral and locking him in a room will
          stress him more than anything. We were going to try and close the
          basement door to keep him from hiding down there but so far have not
          had all the cats up at once. Even that will upset him. Any change
          from their normal environment is upsetting to the three of them.

          Diane
        • Judi Levens
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3 7:46 AM
            I've had good luck with pure chicken baby food when Max wouldn't eat anything else. He just ate a little, but it was something, and I kept bringing a little every hour or so until he regained some interest in food. I'm so sorry for what you are going through, I hope Scooter feels better today...Judi and Max

            To: oceanbreeze1@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: diane@...: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:14:08 -0400Subject: [FH] Re: Scooter Saturday

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3 7:51 AM
              I'm so sorry...I didn't finish reading my inbox before I posted this...sorry to add to a terrible day...Judi and Max

              To: diane@...; oceanbreeze1@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: casaobelisco@...: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 07:46:18 -0700Subject: RE: [FH] Re: Scooter Saturday

              I've had good luck with pure chicken baby food when Max wouldn't eat anything else. He just ate a little, but it was something, and I kept bringing a little every hour or so until he regained some interest in food. I'm so sorry for what you are going through, I hope Scooter feels better today...Judi and MaxTo: oceanbreeze1@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: diane@...: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:14:08 -0400Subject: [FH] Re: Scooter SaturdayHi Patty,He is not open mouthed breathing (the vet said he was but I didn't even see it here at home, obviously he was very stressed there). His breathing is just quicker than I'd think is normal. With him and his siblings being so unobtrusive in the house, things like this tend to escape my attention.The vet did not suggest Rutin, do most of you start this on your own?I did turn the ac on but he picked that time to hide in the basement. A storm moved through and dropped the temps. I have a dehumidifier on all the time in the basement and it's cooler there anyway.I've tried a number of canned foods and pouches and he has absolutely no interest, even if I put it on his teeth. Trying to stuff it in his mouth does not make him too happy. A couple of the other cats are thrilled at the new food selections however!He is still moving around (after the stint in the basement) but quite slowly and he stops to rest often. He moved to the window and didn't look too bad sitting there. He's back in the basement on his side now though. :(DianeAt 2:48 AM +0000 8/3/08, tabbyandpeachy wrote:>Diane,>My Tabby had severe fluid on the lungs a couple of months ago>and we thought there was no hope for him he was given about 2 days to>live until.... (if this is your kittys problem)we started him on>Rutin 500 mg 2x daily this can be found at a health foodstore or>online within a few days he was doing much much better, his breathing>went from 60 per min to 40 and now is down to about 30. Rutin saved>his life! He also gets 12.5 lasix split>2x daily but, when he was severe it was a whole one twice daily.>>If there is any open mouth breathing or panting this is an emergency>and needs to be seen immediately.>>Also if at all possible is there anyway to get him to a place that>has air conditioning? Or maybe get a dehumidifier? this also may help>his breathing.>>I know alot of people give there cats fancy feast or baby food>(WITHOUT onion or garlic) as i think its very tasty to them.>Tabby loves both I usually give it to him with his meds>>>Good luck with you kitty>Lots of kitty ((hugs)) and purrayers Patty and Tabby [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]