Re: A Note on Moderation and Spammers

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
      hi everyone,

      I agree that it's really important that those who need to get
      through can do so without having to wait, like on the moderated
      groups, but I also know the frustration with the spam too. I wanted
      to let everyone know one of the ways that we're trying to control
      the spammers.

      Since no one has to wait to be "approved", every new member gets an
      Introduction/Welcome letter from the feline-heart group. In addition
      that those form type letters, I've written up a questionnaire that I
      send out to every new member that asks the new member to tell us
      abou themselves and their kitties. It's the same type of thing
      they'd have to fill out on a moderated group, only I send it out
      after they join. I check the members lists several times a day and
      send new members the questionnaire and ask that they fill it out and
      send it back to me within a couple of days of them joining. Those
      who don't post an intro or send back the questionnaire are removed
      from the group.

      I've found that most of the spammers join, then they wait about a
      week before they post spam. The exception is whoever this person is
      that keeps posting these "freebie" ads. It's the same person, I'm
      sure, and they just keep changing their screen name slightly. I went
      into their profile, and it's the same profile for each person. So
      whoever that is, they're very passionate about their freebies! Then
      there are some spammers who join, post and then remove themselves
      right after they post the spam. When that happens, I go in and ban
      them from being able to join again.

      I know that this doesn't stop the spam completely, but what it does
      it cuts it way back and if someone does post spam as soon as they
      join before I can verify them as actual bonified members, they don't
      get a second chance to spam us, because I go in and remove and ban
      them. Some of you send me the spam messages and let me know about
      it, and that's good too, because sometimes I'll check my inbox
      before the website (I'm on web only), and then I'll immediately go
      to the website and take them out.

      Since July 1st we've had 71 new member join. Of those, so far 18 are
      really kitty folks who need to be here, 44 were spammers and 9 are
      still pending that I'm waiting to hear from or remove. So at least
      we were able to identify 44 people who were solely here just to
      spread spam and they can't do that anymore. Not bad, eh?

      I think keeping the group open is really important, and we're trying
      to keep it "clean" at the same time.

      hugs,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • Carol Yonov
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
        To be honest, the spammers don't bother me at all as I can usually tell from their subject line that it is a spam email and nothing I'm interested in. I get individual emails from this group, all of the other groups I get digest.
        Carol and Mellie