A Note on Moderation and Spammers

  • diane
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
      Every time we get hit by spammers, a few people suggest putting the
      group on moderation. I have always resisted because I feel many
      people come here in a panic, and no matter how many moderators we may
      have, someone may fall through the cracks (we do sleep sometime you
      know!)

      I am here to tell you I will NEVER put this group on a moderated
      status. I have joined two yahoo cat groups since yesterday in a
      desperate attempt to get feedback about Scooter. Both are moderated,
      one definitely for new members and one may be moderated completely
      based on the batches of emails getting through.

      The 2nd group has not approved my first post yet. I realize it's
      "only" been 2 hours and I realize it's a Saturday. But this wouldn't
      be an issue here, and will never be.

      I cannot express how annoying this is when one wants help!

      Diane
      Feline Heart List Mom
    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
        Hi Diane,

        This is why you are the wonderful kitty heart list mom!:)

        Thank goodness not one person and their kitty will ever have to wait for
        help
        while they are in a panic at any hour of the day or night.. We know you and
        Carol
        are doing your best!

        We will be keeping Scooter in our most positive thoughts!

        Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar ^..^

        On 8/2/08, diane <diane@...> wrote:

        > Every time we get hit by spammers, a few people suggest putting the
        > group on moderation. I have always resisted because I feel many
        > people come here in a panic, and no matter how many moderators we may
        > have, someone may fall through the cracks (we do sleep sometime you
        > know!)
        >
        > I am here to tell you I will NEVER put this group on a moderated
        > status. I have joined two yahoo cat groups since yesterday in a
        > desperate attempt to get feedback about Scooter. Both are moderated,
        > one definitely for new members and one may be moderated completely
        > based on the batches of emails getting through.
        >
        > The 2nd group has not approved my first post yet. I realize it's
        > "only" been 2 hours and I realize it's a Saturday. But this wouldn't
        > be an issue here, and will never be.
        >
        > I cannot express how annoying this is when one wants help!
        >
        > Diane
        > Feline Heart List Mom

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
          hi everyone,

          I agree that it's really important that those who need to get
          through can do so without having to wait, like on the moderated
          groups, but I also know the frustration with the spam too. I wanted
          to let everyone know one of the ways that we're trying to control
          the spammers.

          Since no one has to wait to be "approved", every new member gets an
          Introduction/Welcome letter from the feline-heart group. In addition
          that those form type letters, I've written up a questionnaire that I
          send out to every new member that asks the new member to tell us
          abou themselves and their kitties. It's the same type of thing
          they'd have to fill out on a moderated group, only I send it out
          after they join. I check the members lists several times a day and
          send new members the questionnaire and ask that they fill it out and
          send it back to me within a couple of days of them joining. Those
          who don't post an intro or send back the questionnaire are removed
          from the group.

          I've found that most of the spammers join, then they wait about a
          week before they post spam. The exception is whoever this person is
          that keeps posting these "freebie" ads. It's the same person, I'm
          sure, and they just keep changing their screen name slightly. I went
          into their profile, and it's the same profile for each person. So
          whoever that is, they're very passionate about their freebies! Then
          there are some spammers who join, post and then remove themselves
          right after they post the spam. When that happens, I go in and ban
          them from being able to join again.

          I know that this doesn't stop the spam completely, but what it does
          it cuts it way back and if someone does post spam as soon as they
          join before I can verify them as actual bonified members, they don't
          get a second chance to spam us, because I go in and remove and ban
          them. Some of you send me the spam messages and let me know about
          it, and that's good too, because sometimes I'll check my inbox
          before the website (I'm on web only), and then I'll immediately go
          to the website and take them out.

          Since July 1st we've had 71 new member join. Of those, so far 18 are
          really kitty folks who need to be here, 44 were spammers and 9 are
          still pending that I'm waiting to hear from or remove. So at least
          we were able to identify 44 people who were solely here just to
          spread spam and they can't do that anymore. Not bad, eh?

          I think keeping the group open is really important, and we're trying
          to keep it "clean" at the same time.

          hugs,
          Carol and Snowball and the gang
        • Carol Yonov
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
            To be honest, the spammers don't bother me at all as I can usually tell from their subject line that it is a spam email and nothing I'm interested in. I get individual emails from this group, all of the other groups I get digest.
            Carol and Mellie