Scooter Saturday

  • diane
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      It's entirely possible the fluid has built up again. He is moving
      around but not much, then again it's hot and humid here and none of
      them are moving much.

      He is meowing every time he moves.

      I bought some nutrical and he is not even licking that off him,
      though he will when I stuff it in his mouth, but putting it there is
      stressing him.

      I am pretty sure I got the lasix in him this morning, but not so sure
      about last night!

      He has no interest in food and trying to force feed him is only
      agitating him more. He did jump up into the sink to drink though.

      One of the vet techs is calling around to see if there is any 24 hr
      place that has heart equipment on site but frankly I am not sure it's
      worth the stress to him nor the financial outlay on my end.

      Diane
    • tabbyandpeachy
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
        Diane,
        My Tabby had severe fluid on the lungs a couple of months ago
        and we thought there was no hope for him he was given about 2 days to
        live until.... (if this is your kittys problem)we started him on
        Rutin 500 mg 2x daily this can be found at a health foodstore or
        online within a few days he was doing much much better, his breathing
        went from 60 per min to 40 and now is down to about 30. Rutin saved
        his life! He also gets 12.5 lasix split
        2x daily but, when he was severe it was a whole one twice daily.

        If there is any open mouth breathing or panting this is an emergency
        and needs to be seen immediately.

        Also if at all possible is there anyway to get him to a place that
        has air conditioning? Or maybe get a dehumidifier? this also may help
        his breathing.

        I know alot of people give there cats fancy feast or baby food
        (WITHOUT onion or garlic) as i think its very tasty to them.
        Tabby loves both I usually give it to him with his meds

        Good luck with you kitty
        Lots of kitty ((hugs)) and purrayers Patty and Tabby

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, diane <diane@...> wrote:

        > It's entirely possible the fluid has built up again. He is moving
        > around but not much, then again it's hot and humid here and none of
        > them are moving much.
        >
        > He is meowing every time he moves.
        >
        > I bought some nutrical and he is not even licking that off him,
        > though he will when I stuff it in his mouth, but putting it there
        is
        > stressing him.
        >
        > I am pretty sure I got the lasix in him this morning, but not so
        sure
        > about last night!
        >
        > He has no interest in food and trying to force feed him is only
        > agitating him more. He did jump up into the sink to drink though.
        >
        > One of the vet techs is calling around to see if there is any 24 hr
        > place that has heart equipment on site but frankly I am not sure
        it's
        > worth the stress to him nor the financial outlay on my end.
        >
        > Diane

      • diane
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
          Hi Patty,

          He is not open mouthed breathing (the vet said he was but I didn't
          even see it here at home, obviously he was very stressed there). His
          breathing is just quicker than I'd think is normal. With him and his
          siblings being so unobtrusive in the house, things like this tend to
          escape my attention.

          The vet did not suggest Rutin, do most of you start this on your own?

          I did turn the ac on but he picked that time to hide in the basement.
          A storm moved through and dropped the temps. I have a dehumidifier on
          all the time in the basement and it's cooler there anyway.

          I've tried a number of canned foods and pouches and he has absolutely
          no interest, even if I put it on his teeth. Trying to stuff it in his
          mouth does not make him too happy. A couple of the other cats are
          thrilled at the new food selections however!

          He is still moving around (after the stint in the basement) but quite
          slowly and he stops to rest often. He moved to the window and didn't
          look too bad sitting there. He's back in the basement on his side now
          though. :(

          Diane

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
            Diane
            If you type in chylothorax rutin cat or feline in google you should
            get a few things to read up on. I am not sure about everyone else but,
            at the point Tabby was at my vets and I decided it couldn't hurt
            She did some quick research and said lets give it try.
            I was very strict about it every 12 hours 500 mg plus the lasix.
            (some people give it 3x daily 250MG but Tabby was very severe
            so we went full force)Just lasix was not helping him
            I also was very strict on his activities/stress. I confined him to 1
            room and no jumping when i thought he was getting to active i
            would put him in time out (a cage) for a little bit.
            2 weeks to the day later xrays showed his lungs where completely
            clear.
            Also look at his gums make sure they are pink not grey or blue
            looking if they are he is not getting enough oxygen this is
            also an emergency.
            I do not know how bad scooter is but i was willing to try anything
            and have read many success stories about rutin.
            (GNC may also carry rutin mine does not)

            I don't know if you have scooter on any heart meds/blood thinner
            I at first did not and as result tabby 2 weeks and 1 day
            later threw a clot. He is now on aspirin, coq10, taurine, and as soon
            as i receive it in the mail he will get nattokinase instead of
            aspirin for blood clots.
            All the meds that i give Tabby are pretty reasonable, the
            Nattokinase is probably the most expensive $27 for 90 capsules
            Rutin at the health food store is about $8 for 60 tablets

            Does scooter like lunch meat? Or maybe boiled chicken?
            maybe tuna fish just becareful with fish because of urinary infection
            but he needs to eat, so anything at this point.
            Make sure he is not dehydrated you can check by if his gums are
            sticky or if you pull up on his skin by the neck area
            and it stays like a tent, it does not go down quickly.
            you can compare with your healthy cats.
            You might find more information about foods on the whole health
            cat group http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WholeCatHealth/
            people are pretty quick to respond on there usually

            I am new at all this and still learning from everyone on here
            Hope this helps you, give a big kiss to scooter
            and tell him he is a good boy but he needs to be grounded for a
            little while :)

            Patty

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
              Just a note, Scooter is semi-feral and locking him in a room will
              stress him more than anything. We were going to try and close the
              basement door to keep him from hiding down there but so far have not
              had all the cats up at once. Even that will upset him. Any change
              from their normal environment is upsetting to the three of them.

              Diane
            • Judi Levens
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
                I've had good luck with pure chicken baby food when Max wouldn't eat anything else. He just ate a little, but it was something, and I kept bringing a little every hour or so until he regained some interest in food. I'm so sorry for what you are going through, I hope Scooter feels better today...Judi and Max

                To: oceanbreeze1@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: diane@...: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:14:08 -0400Subject: [FH] Re: Scooter Saturday

                Hi Patty,He is not open mouthed breathing (the vet said he was but I didn't even see it here at home, obviously he was very stressed there). His breathing is just quicker than I'd think is normal. With him and his siblings being so unobtrusive in the house, things like this tend to escape my attention.The vet did not suggest Rutin, do most of you start this on your own?I did turn the ac on but he picked that time to hide in the basement. A storm moved through and dropped the temps. I have a dehumidifier on all the time in the basement and it's cooler there anyway.I've tried a number of canned foods and pouches and he has absolutely no interest, even if I put it on his teeth. Trying to stuff it in his mouth does not make him too happy. A couple of the other cats are thrilled at the new food selections however!He is still moving around (after the stint in the basement) but quite slowly and he stops to rest often. He moved to the window and didn't look too bad sitting there. He's back in the basement on his side now though. :(DianeAt 2:48 AM +0000 8/3/08, tabbyandpeachy wrote:>Diane,>My Tabby had severe fluid on the lungs a couple of months ago>and we thought there was no hope for him he was given about 2 days to>live until.... (if this is your kittys problem)we started him on>Rutin 500 mg 2x daily this can be found at a health foodstore or>online within a few days he was doing much much better, his breathing>went from 60 per min to 40 and now is down to about 30. Rutin saved>his life! He also gets 12.5 lasix split>2x daily but, when he was severe it was a whole one twice daily.>>If there is any open mouth breathing or panting this is an emergency>and needs to be seen immediately.>>Also if at all possible is there anyway to get him to a place that>has air conditioning? Or maybe get a dehumidifier? this also may help>his breathing.>>I know alot of people give there cats fancy feast or baby food>(WITHOUT onion or garlic) as i think its very tasty to them.>Tabby loves both I usually give it to him with his meds>>>Good luck with you kitty>Lots of kitty ((hugs)) and purrayers Patty and Tabby

              • Judi Levens
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2008
                  I'm so sorry...I didn't finish reading my inbox before I posted this...sorry to add to a terrible day...Judi and Max

                  To: diane@...; oceanbreeze1@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: casaobelisco@...: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 07:46:18 -0700Subject: RE: [FH] Re: Scooter Saturday

                  I've had good luck with pure chicken baby food when Max wouldn't eat anything else. He just ate a little, but it was something, and I kept bringing a little every hour or so until he regained some interest in food. I'm so sorry for what you are going through, I hope Scooter feels better today...Judi and MaxTo: oceanbreeze1@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.comFrom: diane@...: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:14:08 -0400Subject: [FH] Re: Scooter SaturdayHi Patty,He is not open mouthed breathing (the vet said he was but I didn't even see it here at home, obviously he was very stressed there). His breathing is just quicker than I'd think is normal. With him and his siblings being so unobtrusive in the house, things like this tend to escape my attention.The vet did not suggest Rutin, do most of you start this on your own?I did turn the ac on but he picked that time to hide in the basement. A storm moved through and dropped the temps. I have a dehumidifier on all the time in the basement and it's cooler there anyway.I've tried a number of canned foods and pouches and he has absolutely no interest, even if I put it on his teeth. Trying to stuff it in his mouth does not make him too happy. A couple of the other cats are thrilled at the new food selections however!He is still moving around (after the stint in the basement) but quite slowly and he stops to rest often. He moved to the window and didn't look too bad sitting there. He's back in the basement on his side now though. :(DianeAt 2:48 AM +0000 8/3/08, tabbyandpeachy wrote:>Diane,>My Tabby had severe fluid on the lungs a couple of months ago>and we thought there was no hope for him he was given about 2 days to>live until.... (if this is your kittys problem)we started him on>Rutin 500 mg 2x daily this can be found at a health foodstore or>online within a few days he was doing much much better, his breathing>went from 60 per min to 40 and now is down to about 30. Rutin saved>his life! He also gets 12.5 lasix split>2x daily but, when he was severe it was a whole one twice daily.>>If there is any open mouth breathing or panting this is an emergency>and needs to be seen immediately.>>Also if at all possible is there anyway to get him to a place that>has air conditioning? Or maybe get a dehumidifier? this also may help>his breathing.>>I know alot of people give there cats fancy feast or baby food>(WITHOUT onion or garlic) as i think its very tasty to them.>Tabby loves both I usually give it to him with his meds>>>Good luck with you kitty>Lots of kitty ((hugs)) and purrayers Patty and Tabby [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]