Treating for clots - plavix or ???

  • arhw2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2008
      I haven't posted much about Reynard since he was put on meds and
      improved a lot. He was first put on enalapril, then the cardiologist
      added lasix and later, pimobendan (Vetmedin) and Plavix.

      I was astonished when I picked up the Plavix at my pharmacy. There
      were only 3 pills at $5 each!! Besides the price, I panicked at the
      thought that the vet must have expected him to die within two weeks
      since 3 pills covered only 12 days. Reynard has had some down days
      when he clearly didn't feel good, but he's had great days, too. I have
      one dose of Plavix left and his appointment isn't till Wednesday.

      If you were me, would you call in for a refill or switch to something
      else? Nattokinase? I really would like not to use Plavix. It tastes
      terrible and has changed Reynard's opinion of taking his meds. I crush
      everything he takes, mix it with baby food and syringe it into his
      mouth. He's been very, very good till Plavix was added. Now he squints
      his eyes and tries to burrow down in the towel. It even makes him
      slobber and drool.

      I have a few more questions, but I will ask in another post. Thanks
      for any advice you can offer.

      Alma
    • SMO
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2008
        Merlin has been on Plavix (and Enalapril, Spironolactone, Atenolol, Lasix, Pimobendan, and aspirin) for more than 18 months. You're right...the cost of the Plavix is amazing. Merlin's prescription is for 8 pills, that costs about $45. I get it filled four pills at a time. The Pimobenden isn't cheap, either. I doubt your vet through Reynard was going to die soon; he was most likely just giving you a break on "sticker shock" in purchasing the Plavix.

        A couple times Merlin has bitten into the Plavix and, as you described, he wasn't pleased. He spit, gagged, drooled, foamed at the mouth, and glared at me for an extended period of time. I now use Pill Pockets for all his pills, wadding all the bits into one large wad of medicine -- and making sure the Plavix is well covered -- and putting that down his throat.

        Have you tried Pill Pockets?

        > I haven't posted much about Reynard since he was put on
        > meds and
        > improved a lot. He was first put on enalapril, then the
        > cardiologist
        > added lasix and later, pimobendan (Vetmedin) and Plavix.
        >
        > I was astonished when I picked up the Plavix at my
        > pharmacy. There
        > were only 3 pills at $5 each!! Besides the price, I
        > panicked at the
        > thought that the vet must have expected him to die within
        > two weeks
        > since 3 pills covered only 12 days. Reynard has had some
        > down days
        > when he clearly didn't feel good, but he's had
        > great days, too. I have
        > one dose of Plavix left and his appointment isn't till
        > Wednesday.
        >
        > If you were me, would you call in for a refill or switch to
        > something
        > else? Nattokinase? I really would like not to use Plavix.
        > It tastes
        > terrible and has changed Reynard's opinion of taking
        > his meds. I crush
        > everything he takes, mix it with baby food and syringe it
        > into his
        > mouth. He's been very, very good till Plavix was added.
        > Now he squints
        > his eyes and tries to burrow down in the towel. It even
        > makes him
        > slobber and drool.
        >
        > I have a few more questions, but I will ask in another
        > post. Thanks
        > for any advice you can offer.
        >
        > Alma
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2008
          I can't speak to the cost as Mellie is only on atenolol, but when I
          have to give an unpleasant tasting pill I try to put it in a gelcap.
          The atenolol is 1/4 tab given twice daily, we also give 1/2 a tumilK
          of a morning so I put the two pieces into a gelcap and only have to
          give her one thing that way.
          One of the vets was recommending tramadol for pain for Tootsie last
          year and I put that in a gelcap. A few months ago I mentioned the
          tramadol and he said he no longer prescribed it for cats which
          surprised me... his reasoning - the owner can get one dose down but
          no more as it tastes too awful. I told him about the gelcaps and he
          thought that a good idea. The last time I ran out of gelcaps I got
          some from him!
          Carol and Mellie