Mellie's heart rate/neuro evaluation

  • Carol Yonov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
      A couple months ago I remember someone writing in to one of the groups very concerned over their cat's pupil size and I wrote that Mellie had been diagnosed perhaps 5 years ago with lenticular sclerosis and so her pupils are always extremely large. Even an opthamologist had checked her eyes and agreed with the diagnosis.

      Today Mellie saw a neurologist for evaluation - she had had 5 seizures in one day on 5/6, a heart murmur had been detected and so she had seen a cardiologist on 5/29 who put her on atenolol to slow her very fast heart rate (was 227, is now 135). Mellie has steadily improved since her heart rate has slowed. The cardiologist had said she was not getting sufficient blood flow to her body and the neurologist said that would easily unmask a brain lesion and cause the seizures but since the blood flow is now improved she may never suffer another event - such good news!

      The thing is - since being on the medication to slow her heart rate we notice her pupils are now responding to light! I am amazed to think that her heart rate could cause such problems and am more amazed that the vet has always just said she gets stressed at the office and assumes her heart rate is normal at home. This evening I took Tootsie's heart rate (I bought a stethoscope a couple weeks ago to keep up with this) and it is 176 so we'll be calling tomorrow!!

      The net/net is - put much more importance on the heart rate, not just the blood pressure (Mellie's blood pressure has always been just fine, never elevated).

      Carol and Tootsie, Mellie, and Cat

    • SThoyre
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
        Carol,
        I have noticed a similar thing w/ Ariel's pupil size since being on the atenolol. In her case, her pupils weren't enlarged per se, but they didn't contrict to very bright light the way they should. It seemed as though they could get just so small, but that was it. She didn't have any seizures as your Mellie did though. Her BP was OK and her eyes looked great on exam, so it was chalked up to age.

        However, I did note that a month or so after starting the atenolol (which brought her HR down from 180-190 to 140-150), her pupils constrict very tightly to bright light -- just as they should. I have figured it was the atenolol as I try to only make one change at a time but hadn't heard anyone else report it.

        Hugs to Mellie -- I'm so glad to hear she is doing better.
        Stacey

      • Carol Yonov
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
          Hi Stacey,
          I spoke with the regular vet late yesterday afternoon and he was aghast at how high Tootsie's heart rate is. If the heart rate can affect pupil size, cause brain problems to be unmasked, who knows what all else? My question to him was - could the high heart rate/lack of proper blood supply to the body cause the renal problems Tootsie has had for years and Mellie just developed? He thinks that is a very interesting theory and is going to be making calls.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
            Hi Carol,
            That is an interesting connection you propose.

            I know for Ariel, the reason the cardio put her on the atenolol is that on echo, her heart had some areas that indicated to him that there was insufficient blood flow so he wanted to slow her heart rate down to increase perfusion of her cardiac muscle.

            It makes sense to me that if the heart isn't being perfused 100% with the HR the way it was, then other organs might also be affected. I would think, though, that it would also depend on underlying issues. For ex, in Ariel's case, her heart being less elastic b/c of the HCM and her age would also contribute (I think) to a lessened chance of adequate perfusion. Aging kidneys might also be more susceptible I would think.

            Hugs to Mellie!
            Stacey

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
              Hi Stacey,
              How old is Ariel? Sorry, I don't remember. Mellie and Tootsie just turned 16 in June so I'd imagine they would react rather quickly to poor blood flow. The way the cardiologist described Mellie's heart condition her mitral valve is being sucked down and over such that it is partially blocking the outflow of blood going out the aorta (?) - sorry, his drawing uses all abbreviations and I'm not 100% sure but I think Ao is for aorta. That is the reason for his commenting she has poor blood circulation to her body. Like Ariel, that is why Mellie was put on atenolol - to slow the heart beat down to allow sufficient time for more blood to exit the heart and to lessen the intensity of each beat so that the valve wasn't pulled over. I hope I understood it correctly to be able to pass that info on to you correctly.

              Did you make it to Jeannine's this spring? I haven't been since 2002 when Tootsie was diagnosed.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
                Carol,
                Ariel is 16 as well -- will be 17 in one month. She didn't have any left ventricular outflow tract (LVOT) constriction/obstruction, but the cardio said he saw a few areas in her heart that on echo looked to him as though she'd had insufficient blood (O2) flow so advised we start the atenolol.

                Yes, made it to VA for Jeannine's event (for those reading along, Carol and I do embroidery and have met at needlework events in the past) but had to leave early because Ariel started acting wacky. My husband works from home while I'm away and does a really good job of doing her pills and sub Qs, but if she starts to go sideways, then it's best if I'm there to sort out what to adjust and to help decide if it's time to take her back to the vet.

                Stacey