Re: Panting Cat -- Advice/Perspectives Needed

  • mickthecat
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
      Hi:

      I have been to several vets with Satori my Bengal. he started
      panting at about 6 months and was diagnosed with HCM and put on
      Atenolol. He had an echocardiogram and his heart was very mildly
      enlarged and he had a strong murmer. He is now six and the new vet
      says he does not have HCM that his heart enlargement is within normal
      range for a big cat. He no longer has a murmer. The enlargement
      improved as he grew. However he recently in the last year or so
      started panting again when excited. He gets himself very hyper and
      worked up but it is also not when he is running around but very
      interested about a toy. Despite this, two different heart vets and
      two echos are saying that he does not have HCM now though he might
      once have and the panting is not a symptom that he does. I was told
      to take him off the Atenolol and have a follow up echo in 3 months.

      So in answer to your question, one I guess panting is not always a
      symptom of serious disease. Two HCM apparently can be improved with
      Atenolo. I would go to the vet and see if he has a murmer. Tpo be
      safe you coulkd do an echo, I would recommend that. It is about $250
      in the Boston area and doesn't require anesthesia. I think my cat
      got better because he was dioagnosed and put on meds at such a young
      age. If it was my cat I would get the echo if you can afford it.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Johnson" <ajohnson1@...>
      wrote:

      > A new stray showed up in the neighborhood last month -- though
      clean and well fed, with
      > an indent from a recently removed collar(no missing cat posters in
      the area or on local pet
      > sites, either). Different neighbors fed and looked out for him --
      but ultimately we took
      > him in. He seems young ( 1 year +), and was not neutered. We had
      him neutered(at a low
      > cost spay/neuter clinic -- very no frills), and he has recovered
      from that and his
      > vaccinations fine. I have noticed that when he gets really worked
      up, he will pant with his
      > mouth open. He does not seem short of breath, and his eating and
      drinking, activity level
      > etc. are perfectly normal. The panting concerns me a little. He
      does not seem winded, and
      > his breathing is not labored, and he only stops momentarily what he
      is doing then
      > scampers off again. He is a white DSH(no trace of purebred
      anything). I am sort of
      > assuming that if he has a serious heart condition, that the
      anaesthesia would have been
      > challenging or fatal for him ? Any red flags here, or advice ? He
      is a funny cat, very laid
      > back but with outbursts of high spirits. I have had one cat (Big
      Baby, RIP, Feb.2005) who
      > had a saddle thrombosis from which he could not recover (with
      Metacam induced ARF on
      > top of this), and am currently living with Percy who has HCM and
      CRF (no crisis yet, please
      > cross your fingers). I feel a little over aware of the
      possibilities of heart issues...Has
      > anyone had a panting cat who was just...fine ? The panting has
      happened on chilly, warm
      > and hot days, and only seems related to his level of excitement( ie
      positive -- he's having
      > fun ! or negative -- before he was neutered -- it was sunset and he
      wanted to GO OUT to
      > make his rounds !). I know he should get a proper once over from a
      vet.

      > Andrea

    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
        Hi Andrea,

        I agree that his panting is cause for concern. I would want an xray and an
        echo done.

        Here's a link from Pet Place on panting:

        http://www.petplace.com/cats/panting-in-cats-is-it-normal/page1.aspx

        Paws crossed for Percy too! :)

        Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar ^..^