Re: Panting Cat -- Advice/Perspectives Needed

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      hi Andrea,

      I think any kind of panting in a cat is cause for concern. Cats don't
      normally "pant" unless there is some kind of heart/lung issues going
      on (from what I've been told and read). When my angel heart kitty,
      Sweetie, would play too much, it would make her pant. I'd have to be
      careful about how much I'd let her play. As much as I loved seeing my
      18 year old girl playing, sometimes it was at the expense of her
      heart, so I had to make sure she stayed within her comfort level and
      not do too much.

      I think I'd definitely have him looked at (xrays, exam, etc.). Since
      you already have experience with HCM, you know what to look for as far
      as signs of distress and all that goes along with HCM and/or CHF.

      take care,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • mickthecat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
        Hi:

        I have been to several vets with Satori my Bengal. he started
        panting at about 6 months and was diagnosed with HCM and put on
        Atenolol. He had an echocardiogram and his heart was very mildly
        enlarged and he had a strong murmer. He is now six and the new vet
        says he does not have HCM that his heart enlargement is within normal
        range for a big cat. He no longer has a murmer. The enlargement
        improved as he grew. However he recently in the last year or so
        started panting again when excited. He gets himself very hyper and
        worked up but it is also not when he is running around but very
        interested about a toy. Despite this, two different heart vets and
        two echos are saying that he does not have HCM now though he might
        once have and the panting is not a symptom that he does. I was told
        to take him off the Atenolol and have a follow up echo in 3 months.

        So in answer to your question, one I guess panting is not always a
        symptom of serious disease. Two HCM apparently can be improved with
        Atenolo. I would go to the vet and see if he has a murmer. Tpo be
        safe you coulkd do an echo, I would recommend that. It is about $250
        in the Boston area and doesn't require anesthesia. I think my cat
        got better because he was dioagnosed and put on meds at such a young
        age. If it was my cat I would get the echo if you can afford it.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Johnson" <ajohnson1@...>
        wrote:

        > A new stray showed up in the neighborhood last month -- though
        clean and well fed, with
        > an indent from a recently removed collar(no missing cat posters in
        the area or on local pet
        > sites, either). Different neighbors fed and looked out for him --
        but ultimately we took
        > him in. He seems young ( 1 year +), and was not neutered. We had
        him neutered(at a low
        > cost spay/neuter clinic -- very no frills), and he has recovered
        from that and his
        > vaccinations fine. I have noticed that when he gets really worked
        up, he will pant with his
        > mouth open. He does not seem short of breath, and his eating and
        drinking, activity level
        > etc. are perfectly normal. The panting concerns me a little. He
        does not seem winded, and
        > his breathing is not labored, and he only stops momentarily what he
        is doing then
        > scampers off again. He is a white DSH(no trace of purebred
        anything). I am sort of
        > assuming that if he has a serious heart condition, that the
        anaesthesia would have been
        > challenging or fatal for him ? Any red flags here, or advice ? He
        is a funny cat, very laid
        > back but with outbursts of high spirits. I have had one cat (Big
        Baby, RIP, Feb.2005) who
        > had a saddle thrombosis from which he could not recover (with
        Metacam induced ARF on
        > top of this), and am currently living with Percy who has HCM and
        CRF (no crisis yet, please
        > cross your fingers). I feel a little over aware of the
        possibilities of heart issues...Has
        > anyone had a panting cat who was just...fine ? The panting has
        happened on chilly, warm
        > and hot days, and only seems related to his level of excitement( ie
        positive -- he's having
        > fun ! or negative -- before he was neutered -- it was sunset and he
        wanted to GO OUT to
        > make his rounds !). I know he should get a proper once over from a
        vet.

        > Andrea

      • moonpye
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
          Hi Andrea,

          I agree that his panting is cause for concern. I would want an xray and an
          echo done.

          Here's a link from Pet Place on panting:

          http://www.petplace.com/cats/panting-in-cats-is-it-normal/page1.aspx

          Paws crossed for Percy too! :)

          Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar ^..^