Panting Cat -- Advice/Perspectives Needed

  • Andrea Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      A new stray showed up in the neighborhood last month -- though clean and well fed, with
      an indent from a recently removed collar(no missing cat posters in the area or on local pet
      sites, either). Different neighbors fed and looked out for him -- but ultimately we took
      him in. He seems young ( 1 year +), and was not neutered. We had him neutered(at a low
      cost spay/neuter clinic -- very no frills), and he has recovered from that and his
      vaccinations fine. I have noticed that when he gets really worked up, he will pant with his
      mouth open. He does not seem short of breath, and his eating and drinking, activity level
      etc. are perfectly normal. The panting concerns me a little. He does not seem winded, and
      his breathing is not labored, and he only stops momentarily what he is doing then
      scampers off again. He is a white DSH(no trace of purebred anything). I am sort of
      assuming that if he has a serious heart condition, that the anaesthesia would have been
      challenging or fatal for him ? Any red flags here, or advice ? He is a funny cat, very laid
      back but with outbursts of high spirits. I have had one cat (Big Baby, RIP, Feb.2005) who
      had a saddle thrombosis from which he could not recover (with Metacam induced ARF on
      top of this), and am currently living with Percy who has HCM and CRF (no crisis yet, please
      cross your fingers). I feel a little over aware of the possibilities of heart issues...Has
      anyone had a panting cat who was just...fine ? The panting has happened on chilly, warm
      and hot days, and only seems related to his level of excitement( ie positive -- he's having
      fun ! or negative -- before he was neutered -- it was sunset and he wanted to GO OUT to
      make his rounds !). I know he should get a proper once over from a vet.

      Andrea
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
        hi Andrea,

        I think any kind of panting in a cat is cause for concern. Cats don't
        normally "pant" unless there is some kind of heart/lung issues going
        on (from what I've been told and read). When my angel heart kitty,
        Sweetie, would play too much, it would make her pant. I'd have to be
        careful about how much I'd let her play. As much as I loved seeing my
        18 year old girl playing, sometimes it was at the expense of her
        heart, so I had to make sure she stayed within her comfort level and
        not do too much.

        I think I'd definitely have him looked at (xrays, exam, etc.). Since
        you already have experience with HCM, you know what to look for as far
        as signs of distress and all that goes along with HCM and/or CHF.

        take care,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang
      • mickthecat
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
          Hi:

          I have been to several vets with Satori my Bengal. he started
          panting at about 6 months and was diagnosed with HCM and put on
          Atenolol. He had an echocardiogram and his heart was very mildly
          enlarged and he had a strong murmer. He is now six and the new vet
          says he does not have HCM that his heart enlargement is within normal
          range for a big cat. He no longer has a murmer. The enlargement
          improved as he grew. However he recently in the last year or so
          started panting again when excited. He gets himself very hyper and
          worked up but it is also not when he is running around but very
          interested about a toy. Despite this, two different heart vets and
          two echos are saying that he does not have HCM now though he might
          once have and the panting is not a symptom that he does. I was told
          to take him off the Atenolol and have a follow up echo in 3 months.

          So in answer to your question, one I guess panting is not always a
          symptom of serious disease. Two HCM apparently can be improved with
          Atenolo. I would go to the vet and see if he has a murmer. Tpo be
          safe you coulkd do an echo, I would recommend that. It is about $250
          in the Boston area and doesn't require anesthesia. I think my cat
          got better because he was dioagnosed and put on meds at such a young
          age. If it was my cat I would get the echo if you can afford it.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Johnson" <ajohnson1@...>
          wrote:

          > A new stray showed up in the neighborhood last month -- though
          clean and well fed, with
          > an indent from a recently removed collar(no missing cat posters in
          the area or on local pet
          > sites, either). Different neighbors fed and looked out for him --
          but ultimately we took
          > him in. He seems young ( 1 year +), and was not neutered. We had
          him neutered(at a low
          > cost spay/neuter clinic -- very no frills), and he has recovered
          from that and his
          > vaccinations fine. I have noticed that when he gets really worked
          up, he will pant with his
          > mouth open. He does not seem short of breath, and his eating and
          drinking, activity level
          > etc. are perfectly normal. The panting concerns me a little. He
          does not seem winded, and
          > his breathing is not labored, and he only stops momentarily what he
          is doing then
          > scampers off again. He is a white DSH(no trace of purebred
          anything). I am sort of
          > assuming that if he has a serious heart condition, that the
          anaesthesia would have been
          > challenging or fatal for him ? Any red flags here, or advice ? He
          is a funny cat, very laid
          > back but with outbursts of high spirits. I have had one cat (Big
          Baby, RIP, Feb.2005) who
          > had a saddle thrombosis from which he could not recover (with
          Metacam induced ARF on
          > top of this), and am currently living with Percy who has HCM and
          CRF (no crisis yet, please
          > cross your fingers). I feel a little over aware of the
          possibilities of heart issues...Has
          > anyone had a panting cat who was just...fine ? The panting has
          happened on chilly, warm
          > and hot days, and only seems related to his level of excitement( ie
          positive -- he's having
          > fun ! or negative -- before he was neutered -- it was sunset and he
          wanted to GO OUT to
          > make his rounds !). I know he should get a proper once over from a
          vet.

          > Andrea

        • moonpye
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
            Hi Andrea,

            I agree that his panting is cause for concern. I would want an xray and an
            echo done.

            Here's a link from Pet Place on panting:

            http://www.petplace.com/cats/panting-in-cats-is-it-normal/page1.aspx

            Paws crossed for Percy too! :)

            Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar ^..^