Rudy / update and need more advice

  • leohorse1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2008
      Rudy is home from the hospital again and feeling some better. But it
      seems as soon as he gets off of the lasix that they inject him with
      while staying there, he starts getting fluid again. They have me
      giving him 12.5 mg furosemide twice per day. The internal med vet
      said if I think he is having trouble breathing give him an extra half
      of a pill during the day (that would be an additional 6mg per day).
      She also said that if I have to do that often, to call and she is
      going to add yet another diuretic. He came home last night and i can
      tell by his breathing right now it is getting a little rough again. I
      will give him that extra half pill but with the holiday, etc., I can't
      call for that other perscription. I asked about Rutin and she said
      they do use that but not for the kind of fluid build-up that Rudy
      has. I was just wondering what some of the doses some of your kitties
      get of this furosemide and what other drugs that vets might be
      perscribing. Thank you. Denise & "Rudy"
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2008
        hi Denise,

        Last summer when our angel Chris was having a hard time, the internist
        put him on Spironolactone in addition to his Lasix. Some of the folks
        here gave their cats Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ).

        You might want to ask the vet about giving injectible Lasix at home.
        When my angel Sweetie was in her bad times, my vet gave us injectible
        Lasix. It works better and faster than the pills. The dose is
        dependant on the cat's weight, so the vet would have to tell you what
        it would be for Rudy.

        I hope he'll be okay through the weekend.

        Sending healing thoughts,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang