Re: Question about Alpha Lipoic Acid

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      Sorry...I hit send before I was done!

      I found a lot of sites that state that it's toxic to cats at doses
      over 25mg per day because cats lack the ability to metabolize it
      completely and it can cause liver toxicity...so it actually can cause
      one of the things that you'd be taking it for, which is cleansing the
      liver.

      This site says it's okay at 25mg a day.
      http://www.viim.org/research/articles/diabetes.asp

      The veterinary supplement company, Thorne, uses it in some of their
      supplements. It looks like it's usually always at below the 25mg dose.
      Here's one. http://www.wellvet.com/smallanimalantioxidant.html

      Almost everything I found when I googled it was that it's toxic to
      cats at doses higher than 25mg a day.

      I found a few other supplements, pet ones, that include it in their
      formulations, but the amount is below the 25mg/day dose.

      I think that probably one of the reasons that your kitty is doing
      better could be the combination in the CoQ10 you're using. The
      ingredients all working together to improve things. How much of that
      role the ALA plays is hard to know. Maybe try another brand that
      doesn't have the ALA in it and just monitor and see how it goes?

      All these years that I've used ALA on my guys and never really knew
      about the toxicity thing for cats. I started using it years ago
      (2001), and at that time, I didn't find out about any toxicity with
      using it. Well then all these years inbetween, having never really
      looked it up again, until today when you asked about it, and now
      finding all this information about it being toxic to cats over a
      certain dose. I guess I was very lucky that it didn't hurt my guys
      back then.

      I'm so grateful that you posted today. We all need to know more about
      the supplements that we're giving our guys.

      I would, to be safe...try a different brand that doesn't have the ALA
      in it. I'm sure the ALA was put in there as an antioxidant, since the
      CoQ10 is also an antioxidant, so is the vitamin E, they must've
      figured that more bang for the buck type thing and add the ALA to the
      formula. There are other brands out there that have the liquid coQ10
      with vitamin E that don't add the ALA. Here are a few. These all have
      the CoQ10 plus vit. E.

      Country Life, CoQ10 Maxi-Sorb, 30 mg
      Doctor's Best, Best CoQ10, 30 mg
      Jarrow Formulas, Q-absorb Co-Q10, 30 mg