Re: [FH] Question about Alpha Lipoic Acid

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hi Sandra,

      In a message dated 7/3/08 12:14:57 PM, sandra.richards@... writes:

      > So I came here to look for info, and there are only 7 posts that
      > mention alpha-lipoic acid, one of which states that it is potentially
      > "toxic" to cats in doses over 30mg.
      >
      > So obviously I'm very concerned. Does anyone know what exactly is
      > meant by "toxic", which is obviously bad, but just was wondering what
      > are the potential side effects.

      Here's the study, at Pub Med ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed ) #15059240
      entitled "Lipoic acid is 10 times more toxic in cats than reported in humans,
      dogs or rats" by Hill et al at UC Davis Dept of Molecular Biosciences, School
      of Vet Med, in the Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, April
      2004, 88 (3-4), 150-156:

      "The antioxidant lipoic acid (LA) is administered to humans and pets. We
      described acute toxicity and maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of LA in cats. In
      progression, 10 healthy adult male cats received orally 60 (high), 30 (low), or 0 mg
      LA/kg (control). Serum enzyme activities and concentrations of bile acids,
      ammonia, amino acids (AA), LA and dihydrolipoic acid (DHLA) were measured, and
      tissues examined microscopically. Significant clinical toxicity with changes in
      ammonia and AA concentrations occurred in all high-dose cats. Oral LA
      produced hepatocellular toxicity and MTD was < 30 mg/kg in cats."

      So, what is meant by "toxic" in this case is damage to the liver, along with
      changes in ammonia and amino acids. // Rosemary

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
        Sorry...I hit send before I was done!

        I found a lot of sites that state that it's toxic to cats at doses
        over 25mg per day because cats lack the ability to metabolize it
        completely and it can cause liver toxicity...so it actually can cause
        one of the things that you'd be taking it for, which is cleansing the
        liver.

        This site says it's okay at 25mg a day.
        http://www.viim.org/research/articles/diabetes.asp

        The veterinary supplement company, Thorne, uses it in some of their
        supplements. It looks like it's usually always at below the 25mg dose.
        Here's one. http://www.wellvet.com/smallanimalantioxidant.html

        Almost everything I found when I googled it was that it's toxic to
        cats at doses higher than 25mg a day.

        I found a few other supplements, pet ones, that include it in their
        formulations, but the amount is below the 25mg/day dose.

        I think that probably one of the reasons that your kitty is doing
        better could be the combination in the CoQ10 you're using. The
        ingredients all working together to improve things. How much of that
        role the ALA plays is hard to know. Maybe try another brand that
        doesn't have the ALA in it and just monitor and see how it goes?

        All these years that I've used ALA on my guys and never really knew
        about the toxicity thing for cats. I started using it years ago
        (2001), and at that time, I didn't find out about any toxicity with
        using it. Well then all these years inbetween, having never really
        looked it up again, until today when you asked about it, and now
        finding all this information about it being toxic to cats over a
        certain dose. I guess I was very lucky that it didn't hurt my guys
        back then.

        I'm so grateful that you posted today. We all need to know more about
        the supplements that we're giving our guys.

        I would, to be safe...try a different brand that doesn't have the ALA
        in it. I'm sure the ALA was put in there as an antioxidant, since the
        CoQ10 is also an antioxidant, so is the vitamin E, they must've
        figured that more bang for the buck type thing and add the ALA to the
        formula. There are other brands out there that have the liquid coQ10
        with vitamin E that don't add the ALA. Here are a few. These all have
        the CoQ10 plus vit. E.

        Country Life, CoQ10 Maxi-Sorb, 30 mg
        Doctor's Best, Best CoQ10, 30 mg
        Jarrow Formulas, Q-absorb Co-Q10, 30 mg