Re: Missi - end stage? Inflammation?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2008
      Hi Kim,

      I would disagree with your vet thinking that the only reason for a
      poor appetite is from end stage heart disease. My angel Sweetie and
      our angel Chris had fairly good appetites till the day they died.
      Now that's not saying that it couldn't be possible, but there are so
      many other things that could be causing it.

      Can you post Missi's bloodwork numbers? The most important are the
      BUN, Creatinine, Phosphorus, HCT/PCV, and Potassium for the kidneys,
      T4 (and a free T4 if you had that done) for the thyroid, and ALT and
      ALK Phos for liver values. Maybe there's something there that we
      can recognize to help you.

      It could be kidneys, could be thyroid. A lot of heart kitties also
      have kidney and thyroid issues. It could be maybe that with all the
      meds, they're just making her nauseated?

      I know that appetite stimulants can elevate a heart rate, they do
      with Snowball, but maybe a short course of Cyproheptadine to get her
      eating again? I'd try that before I gave in to the idea that this
      is "just what happens in end stage heart disease". Even if it is,
      who can say how long the "end stage" is going to be? It could be
      months. It was with Chris last summer. He was in end stage heart
      disease for the last 3 months of his life, and I have to tell you,
      except for some scarey times, yes he had some bad times, much of his
      time was good and he felt good. We took walks outside every day and
      he loved to eat, whether we were syringe feeding him (sometimes I
      think he liked that better!) or he was eating on his own.

      Maybe try a different food for her. Maybe she'd like something
      else...a new flavor or texture? I know that in the end stage of any
      disease, one of the things that happens is that they don't want to
      eat much...but that doesn't have to be what's going on here now with
      Missi.

      Sending healing thoughts,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang