Missi - end stage? Inflammation?

  • Kim Gregory
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2008
      I dont post often - I do read but am currently a couple of months behind in reading so I dont get to respond much either.  I wonder if I could ask a question?
      To recap:  Missi is 9, she was diagnosed RCM and CHF in December 2007 after throwing a saddle thrombosis Nov 30th 2007.  She is on a whole shed load of meds including Diltiazem, Sprironolactone, Co-Amilozide and Frusemide/Lasix plus Plavix and Aspirin and of course Fortekor.  She can't tolerate Atenolol as she had an acute reaction to it.
      Missi has been doing well all this time - well aside from several nasty CHF episodes in the first few months with the most recent being in April.  Recent bloodwork is OK though she did have raised creatinine this has now returned to normal/near normal.
      The problem is that she now has a really poor appetite and has lost a good deal of weight :-(  The vet, who is a cardiologist feels that this is indicative of end-stage heart disease.  He feels that the inappetance is due to inflammation caused by the heart which in turn affects other organs causing them to shut down and which also causes her to feel nauseas.
      I'd not heard of this before?  Has anyone else heard of it?  He seems to feel that there is nothing we can do about it and that her time is drawing near.  To anyone who has lost a heart cat - I hate to bring back painful memories - but was this something you experienced?  Terribly poor appetite and in the end you had to let them go due to the severe weight loss?
      I'm sorry to ask difficult questions - I just need to know what to expect and also whether this is the end or whether there is something I could or should be doing.
       Kim and the assorted fur-kids (UK)

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2008
        Hi Kim,

        I would disagree with your vet thinking that the only reason for a
        poor appetite is from end stage heart disease. My angel Sweetie and
        our angel Chris had fairly good appetites till the day they died.
        Now that's not saying that it couldn't be possible, but there are so
        many other things that could be causing it.

        Can you post Missi's bloodwork numbers? The most important are the
        BUN, Creatinine, Phosphorus, HCT/PCV, and Potassium for the kidneys,
        T4 (and a free T4 if you had that done) for the thyroid, and ALT and
        ALK Phos for liver values. Maybe there's something there that we
        can recognize to help you.

        It could be kidneys, could be thyroid. A lot of heart kitties also
        have kidney and thyroid issues. It could be maybe that with all the
        meds, they're just making her nauseated?

        I know that appetite stimulants can elevate a heart rate, they do
        with Snowball, but maybe a short course of Cyproheptadine to get her
        eating again? I'd try that before I gave in to the idea that this
        is "just what happens in end stage heart disease". Even if it is,
        who can say how long the "end stage" is going to be? It could be
        months. It was with Chris last summer. He was in end stage heart
        disease for the last 3 months of his life, and I have to tell you,
        except for some scarey times, yes he had some bad times, much of his
        time was good and he felt good. We took walks outside every day and
        he loved to eat, whether we were syringe feeding him (sometimes I
        think he liked that better!) or he was eating on his own.

        Maybe try a different food for her. Maybe she'd like something
        else...a new flavor or texture? I know that in the end stage of any
        disease, one of the things that happens is that they don't want to
        eat much...but that doesn't have to be what's going on here now with
        Missi.

        Sending healing thoughts,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang