Re: heart rate

  • SThoyre
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Ariel is on atenolol. Her heart rate prior to starting atenolol was 180 bpm. She is 13.5# but as we were concerned about starting a new med w/ her as her situation is so complex, we started out at a very low dose -- 3.125 mg (1/8th tab) once/day. That brought her HR down to 150ish but more of a concern was that it dropped her BP to the 100-120 range. Prior to starting the atenolol her BP was approx 140. We were very thankful that we didn't start her on the 1/4 tab once/day as originally prescribed.

      After a few wks, her HR started to trend up again, so we went to 3.125 mg 2x/day. That put her HR to 140ish, and again, BP went down to 100-110. After a few more weeks, her BP normalized at 120-140 and HR has stayed in the 140-150 range.

      Upon consult w/ her cardiologist, he agreed 100% that we should not increase the atenolol any further as he was concerned about driving her BP too low. He said he was totally OK w/ her HR in the 140-160 range.

      I don't know how many cats are as sensitive to the effects of atenolol as Ariel seems to be, but recently, she became mildly hypertensive. She was already on the highest dose of benazepril that we wanted her to be on given her renal situation, so rather than adding in another med, we opted to increase the atenolol slightly, recalling how much it affected her BP before.

      In this case, even an increase from 3.125 mg to 4 mg was too much and we ended up settling with 3.125 at noon and 4 mg at bedtime. For now at least, that seems to be keeping her BP at a fairly even level of 120-140.

      I should note that Ariel is an older kitty (a few months shy of 17), and is on a boatload of meds that can affect her BP (up and down), incl benazepril (1.25 mg once/day), CoQ10, pred, and lasix (6.25 mg BID). At the time of first starting the atenolol and noting how much it hit her BP, though, she wasn't on the benaz or CoQ10.

      Stacey