Re: [FH] Now yeast?

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28 10:13 AM
      Hi Adrian,

      In a message dated 6/27/08 8:39:18 PM, marmammer@... writes:

      > After several
      > bad weeks he is finally on a upswing.

      Good to hear.

      > He is back to grooming,
      > actively asking for cuddles, and chowing down on his kibble

      While it's important for all cats to eat...and when they are sick, they can
      eat whatever they like (within reason)...but I think dry food may be a
      contributing factor to the symptoms you're seeing. At very least, the carbohydrate
      content of dry food "feeds" yeast and other pathogenic organisms. And there are
      substances in the grains (and other ingredients) used in dry food that can
      contribute to various skin problems other than yeast, incl "allergy"-like chronic
      itching/overgrooming.

      > Unfortunately, I think he has come down with a yest infection.

      See above.

      > I have read that the traditional medications for fungus aren't very
      > effective and are toxic to the liver.

      Right.

      >   I am curious if any of you all
      > know of any more benign alternative treatments.

      I think the most important thing would be to stop "feeding" the yeast with
      dry food...and help Jake transition to a high-quality, well-balanced,
      low-carbohydrate, grainfree, moisture-rich, meat-based diet, which will feed his whole
      body with quality nutrients in a form it can readily process. This will be
      important not only for his skin, but also his heart, digestive system, urinary
      system, teeth/gums, etc. Some grainfree canned brands that do a good job meeting
      a cat's nutritional requirements incl Wellness, www.omhpet.com/wellness;
      Nature's Variety Instincts, www.naturesvariety.com; By Nature Organics,
      www.bynaturepetfoods.com; and EVO 95% meat, http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp.

      Another systemic, nutrient-related option is nondairy probiotics. Generally I
      recommend a product with mixed strains, but Lactobacillus acidophilus alone
      can also be effective in this situation. Look for a product with a high
      potency, so you can use less. Probiotics have a pleasant, mild, "milky" taste that
      most cats don't object to...so it can be mixed with a moist treat (eg pure meat
      baby food). About 2 billion organisms per dose, 1-3x/day.

      As for topical treatment, colloidal silver can act against fungus. I would
      stick with 10ppm (Sovereign Silver) or 30ppm (Source Natural) at this point,
      droppering it right on the spots or compressing lightly with the drops on a
      cotton cosmetic pad or sterile gauze. Another option to reduce skin inflammation is
      pure aloe vera inner-leaf juice or whole-leaf gel (no sodium benzoate, no
      emodin, no aloin)...eg Lily of the Desert brand. Swab on a few times per day with
      a cotton or gauze pad. Among plants with an anti-fungal action there's
      goldenseal and chamomile...both are available in no-alcohol tinctures or dried
      plant, which can be made into a solution with boiled cooled water that can be
      compressed or swabbed on. If you want more on any of these, just ask.

      What I would not use on a cat are any essential oils (eg tea tree oil, neem
      oil) or grapefruit seed extract, among others.

      > I realize that I am going to have to change his diet (which will be
      > hard b/c he prefers kibble to everything) and use something other
      > than metamucil to manage his constipation.

      Yes, exactly. I understand that he loves kibble. If I had my way, I'd eat
      chocolate chip cookies 24/7. But I would get very ill, b/c the human body needs
      other nutrients than sugar, wheat, and chocolate. It's not that much different
      for cats, who have evolved eating animal proteins and fats, not plant
      carbohydrate. Cats learn early in life what is safe and good to eat...and helping them
      learn new foods can sometimes be difficult, b/c they are programmed to reject
      anything that smells "foreign," which could be toxic. It becomes all the
      harder when cats are physiologically addicted to the ingredients in dry and
      habituated to the taste/smell enhancers with which the dry nuggets are enrobed, incl
      animal digests and fats. But it is possible to help a cat transition to a new
      diet, by introducing *teeny* amts of the new food in with the old, so that
      the cat very gradually gets accustomed to the smell, rather than repelled by it.
      Then increasing in tiny increments as the cat accepts. Active, positive
      communication...explaining to the cat what we're doing and why, in words, with
      relaxed body language and with visualizations of the desired outcome...is also
      very helpful. Some cats can transition quickly, some not...so we sometimes need
      patience and persistence.

      It's also entirely possible that once Jake starts eating a
      species-appropriate meat-based diet with 60-80% moisture, the constipation will clear. If not,
      there are other options for managing it, incl slippery elm bark,
      lowish-glycemic soluble fiber plants (eg zucchini, pumpkin), and pure aloe vera juice. //
      Rosemary