Now yeast?

  • goneaussie4ever
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2008
      Hi All,

      Well my precious little heart kitty Jake seems to like to make life
      difficult. I guess it keeps it interesting for him. After several
      bad weeks he is finally on a upswing. He is back to grooming,
      actively asking for cuddles, and chowing down on his kibble...big
      Hurrah :)He is even randomly playing with things :) :) :)

      Unfortunately, I think he has come down with a yest infection. He
      has patches above both of his front paws and funkiness going on his
      heels. When the "owies" first appeared, the cardioloigst didn't know
      what it was so she gave us Chlorohexaderm to clean the area. The vet
      has taken a fungal culture, but we won't get the results until next
      week. From the few pictures and descriptions I found on the internet
      it looks like yeast...sigh.

      I have read that the traditional medications for fungus aren't very
      effective and are toxic to the liver. I am curious if any of you all
      know of any more benign alternative treatments.

      I realize that I am going to have to change his diet (which will be
      hard b/c he prefers kibble to everything) and use something other
      than metamucil to manage his constipation.

      I am worried about interactions with his current medication and that
      his current medication pre-disposed him to this. Jake takes
      Atnenolol, Lasix, Spironalactone, Enalapril, Dilatzem, Vetmeddin, and
      Mitrazapine (every third day). He also gets about 1/4 teaspoon of
      Metamucil spread across the day to soften his stool.

      Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He is doing so well now
      (beside the yeast) and I just want to keep him happy and healthy as
      possible.

      Thanks Adrian and Jake (a-black-cat)
    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2008
        Hi Adrian,

        In a message dated 6/27/08 8:39:18 PM, marmammer@... writes:

        > After several
        > bad weeks he is finally on a upswing.

        Good to hear.

        > He is back to grooming,
        > actively asking for cuddles, and chowing down on his kibble

        While it's important for all cats to eat...and when they are sick, they can
        eat whatever they like (within reason)...but I think dry food may be a
        contributing factor to the symptoms you're seeing. At very least, the carbohydrate
        content of dry food "feeds" yeast and other pathogenic organisms. And there are
        substances in the grains (and other ingredients) used in dry food that can
        contribute to various skin problems other than yeast, incl "allergy"-like chronic
        itching/overgrooming.

        > Unfortunately, I think he has come down with a yest infection.

        See above.

        > I have read that the traditional medications for fungus aren't very
        > effective and are toxic to the liver.

        Right.

        >   I am curious if any of you all
        > know of any more benign alternative treatments.

        I think the most important thing would be to stop "feeding" the yeast with
        dry food...and help Jake transition to a high-quality, well-balanced,
        low-carbohydrate, grainfree, moisture-rich, meat-based diet, which will feed his whole
        body with quality nutrients in a form it can readily process. This will be
        important not only for his skin, but also his heart, digestive system, urinary
        system, teeth/gums, etc. Some grainfree canned brands that do a good job meeting
        a cat's nutritional requirements incl Wellness, www.omhpet.com/wellness;
        Nature's Variety Instincts, www.naturesvariety.com; By Nature Organics,
        www.bynaturepetfoods.com; and EVO 95% meat, http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp.

        Another systemic, nutrient-related option is nondairy probiotics. Generally I
        recommend a product with mixed strains, but Lactobacillus acidophilus alone
        can also be effective in this situation. Look for a product with a high
        potency, so you can use less. Probiotics have a pleasant, mild, "milky" taste that
        most cats don't object to...so it can be mixed with a moist treat (eg pure meat
        baby food). About 2 billion organisms per dose, 1-3x/day.

        As for topical treatment, colloidal silver can act against fungus. I would
        stick with 10ppm (Sovereign Silver) or 30ppm (Source Natural) at this point,
        droppering it right on the spots or compressing lightly with the drops on a
        cotton cosmetic pad or sterile gauze. Another option to reduce skin inflammation is
        pure aloe vera inner-leaf juice or whole-leaf gel (no sodium benzoate, no
        emodin, no aloin)...eg Lily of the Desert brand. Swab on a few times per day with
        a cotton or gauze pad. Among plants with an anti-fungal action there's
        goldenseal and chamomile...both are available in no-alcohol tinctures or dried
        plant, which can be made into a solution with boiled cooled water that can be
        compressed or swabbed on. If you want more on any of these, just ask.

        What I would not use on a cat are any essential oils (eg tea tree oil, neem
        oil) or grapefruit seed extract, among others.

        > I realize that I am going to have to change his diet (which will be
        > hard b/c he prefers kibble to everything) and use something other
        > than metamucil to manage his constipation.

        Yes, exactly. I understand that he loves kibble. If I had my way, I'd eat
        chocolate chip cookies 24/7. But I would get very ill, b/c the human body needs
        other nutrients than sugar, wheat, and chocolate. It's not that much different
        for cats, who have evolved eating animal proteins and fats, not plant
        carbohydrate. Cats learn early in life what is safe and good to eat...and helping them
        learn new foods can sometimes be difficult, b/c they are programmed to reject
        anything that smells "foreign," which could be toxic. It becomes all the
        harder when cats are physiologically addicted to the ingredients in dry and
        habituated to the taste/smell enhancers with which the dry nuggets are enrobed, incl
        animal digests and fats. But it is possible to help a cat transition to a new
        diet, by introducing *teeny* amts of the new food in with the old, so that
        the cat very gradually gets accustomed to the smell, rather than repelled by it.
        Then increasing in tiny increments as the cat accepts. Active, positive
        communication...explaining to the cat what we're doing and why, in words, with
        relaxed body language and with visualizations of the desired outcome...is also
        very helpful. Some cats can transition quickly, some not...so we sometimes need
        patience and persistence.

        It's also entirely possible that once Jake starts eating a
        species-appropriate meat-based diet with 60-80% moisture, the constipation will clear. If not,
        there are other options for managing it, incl slippery elm bark,
        lowish-glycemic soluble fiber plants (eg zucchini, pumpkin), and pure aloe vera juice. //
        Rosemary