Introduction to Monster

  • pointydog
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2008
      Hi everyone.
      I've just joined, and I'll be reading through the posts and files
      over the weekend.
      My Cornish Rex named Monster has been diagnosed with DCM. It's been a
      month since diagnosis (a clot in LF started the process) and 7 months
      since his first clot in RR (vet did not catch a heart problem at that
      time).

      There is much to tell about how long it took to diagnose which might
      be useful, but the short story is that he's has his second
      echocardiogram after a month of medicine and has not significantly
      improved. His attitude has, and he obviously feels better, but he's
      still in big trouble.

      The vet who did the ECG is a consultant and not a regular at my vet's
      office, I have only his written reports and no opportunity to speak
      with him. He's blamed it on taurine deficiency caused by the mostly
      raw diet I feed. (my raw diet exceeds AAFCO guidline for feline
      nutritional requirements, taurine included. I also feed supplements
      that contain it) I asked for a serum taurine test before supplements
      were started, and it was normal, so there is likey some other cause.

      I'm writing looking for advice. I'd like to know if there is anything
      more I can be doing to help him improve. I'd also like to know what
      questions to ask. Despite having cats my entire life, I have never
      seen this before. I have 11 cats now (3-17 yrs old) and I have to be
      sure there is nothing dietary causing Monster's problem as everyone
      else woud be at risk if this is the case.

      I don't have a copy of the first report, but here is the data from
      the latest one:
      ECG findings: right ventricular hypertrophy, septal thinning, left
      ventricular dialation unchanged, left vent. free wall thinning
      unchanged, hypodynamic systolic function improved, left atrial
      dialation worsened, moderate mitral regurgitation;

      Physical exam: I/? mitral systolic murmur, gallop rhythm, fair
      femoral pulse, pink mucous membranes, CRT=1sec

      Overall: Monster previously seen dialated congestive myopathy has
      improved since starting him on medicine. He has right vent.
      hypertrophy, improved hypo. syst. function and resolution of his left
      atrial thrombosis. Prognosis is fair to good.

      Old treatment was:
      Feed only commercially available cat food
      Vetmedin 1.25mg every 12 hours
      Taurine 250mg every 12 hours
      aspirin 81mg every 3rd day

      new treatment is the same,but adds Enalapril 1.25mg daily in AM for
      10 days, then 2.5mg daily in AM thereafter.

      Monster is 13.5 years old and weighs 13#. He's had no other health
      problems before the clot in December other than bad teeth. All of his
      his teeth have been surgically removed, the last few went about 3
      years ago.

      Since changing his diet he's had gassy explosive diarrhea on and off
      and will sometimes vomit after eating. The commercial food is Eagle
      brand dry and tinned, sometimes Friskies tinned and treats are
      Whiskas dry food) I have been letting him eat the raw food last 4
      days and that's cleared up both ends of the little guy (though I
      didn't tell the vet about this lapse- I didn't get to tell him
      anything, we didn't speak). He missed one dose of aspirin in the
      second week, otherwise I've followed the plan exactly.

      I'd be grateful for any insight into his problem (my first with a
      heart problem and I'm still learning) and any advice about what I can
      ask his regualr doctor, what I should be looking for, and any other
      treatment options I can ask about.

      I've been told 6 months is an average life expectancy with this
      condition, I'd like to know if that's commonly true.

      Thanks in advance for any information, and for everything that's
      already here. I will be reading for the next week at least!

      Chris & Monster
    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2008
        Hi Chris,

        In a message dated 6/27/08 2:22:59 PM, casmann@... writes:

        > He's blamed it on taurine deficiency caused by the mostly
        > raw diet I feed. (my raw diet exceeds AAFCO guidline for feline
        > nutritional requirements, taurine included. I also feed supplements
        > that contain it)

        About how much supplemental taurine are you giving per day? The AAFCO
        guidelines are basically based on avoiding deficiency/excess problems...not on
        optimum nutrition. And we have very little information about the taurine content of
        typical cat prey (altho mouse taurine is estimated at about 240mg/100g
        as-fed)...and about typical taurine content of meats used to feed cats (there are 2
        main studies, from Spitze and Laidlaw).

        > I'm writing looking for advice. I'd like to know if there is anything
        > more I can be doing to help him improve.

        Other nutrients that might be useful to look at incl L-carnitine,
        dimethylglycine (or trimethylglycine), and coenzyme Q10.

        > I have to be
        > sure there is nothing dietary causing Monster's problem as everyone
        > else woud be at risk if this is the case.

        If you'd like to post exactly what you're feeding, we can look at it for
        nutrients.

        > Since changing his diet he's had gassy explosive diarrhea on and off
        > and will sometimes vomit after eating. The commercial food is Eagle
        > brand dry and tinned, sometimes Friskies tinned and treats are
        > Whiskas dry food)

        There could be a coupla contributing factors to this: new medications,
        ingredients in the commercial food, and abrupt food change, which can upset the dig.
        system balance. Eagle Pack is considered a quality mfr, but their products
        contain grains, which are neither necessary nor desirable for cat
        nutrition...and can be a contributing factor to dig. problems. Friskies is a brand with
        generally low nutritional quality, sorry to say, and it's ingredients can also
        cause digestive problems. In general, there is no dry food that is appropriate
        nutrition for cats, b/c the ingredients (often with grains), nutritional profile
        (often high in carbohydrate), and moisture level (10% or less) do not relate
        to the cat's evolutionary diet, which contains high amts of animal proteins
        and fats, no to very limited plant carbohydrate, and 60-80% moisture. If you
        want to continue feeding a commercial food, it might be worthwhile to look at the
        higher-quality grainfree canned brands, such as Wellness,
        www.omhpet.com/wellness; Nature's Variety Instincts, www.naturesvariety.com; By Nature Organics,
        www.bynaturepetfoods.com; and EVO 95% meat,
        http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp.

        > I have been letting him eat the raw food last 4
        > days and that's cleared up both ends of the little guy

        Excellent. A well-balanced fresh food diet provides quality nutrition for a
        cat...and if you're uncertain about feeding your homemade food at this point,
        there are commercially available foods, such as Nature's Variety raw, among a
        number of others.

        > I've been told 6 months is an average life expectancy with this
        > condition, I'd like to know if that's commonly true.

        I think (my opinion only) trying to predict longevity is a tricky business.
        With quality care, incl species-appropriate diet, we can help a heart cat lead
        a comfortable, rewarding life, for however long it may last. // Rosemary