Re: [FH] Prednisone and heart disease

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2008
      Hi Amanda,

      In a message dated 6/22/08 12:41:59 PM, justinamanda@... writes:

      > As you can see from all of my posts Griffin is not feeling any
      > better -the primary vet is not sure what is going on exactly based
      > on bloodwork.

      He's not? Did he talk with you about what Griffin eats? And his history of
      food sensitivities? Adverse reaction to food doesn't show up in blood tests,
      except sometimes as elevated WBC.

      > The only thing that our
      > primary even hinted about doing was using a short course of
      > prednisone to try and heal any gi inflammation and get him back to
      > feeling well.

      Pred doesn't heal inflammation per se. It turns off the immune system's
      ability to defend itself with inflammation against what it considers threats. It's
      roughly like turning off the oil signal light on your car's dashboard. The
      annoying "symptom" goes away...but the problem doesn't. And there are long- and
      short-term potential consequences to using it...so it would be a good idea to
      think about the risks v. benefits, as well as what happens when you stop using
      it.

      > Would a short course of pred. just
      > be too dangerous for him at this point? Does the possible benefits
      > outweigh the dangers?

      I would use many other remedies first before pred. There are other options
      with much less risk and potential benefit.

      > Would a bacterial infection show up in stool or bloodwork?

      If they were looking for it in the stool. It might show up in blood as
      elevated WBC. // Rosemary