FW: Feeling down

  • Sandler, Zellene E.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
      I sent this once and I don't think it went through, so sorry if it appears
      twice.

      I had a bad night last night. Widgie seems so weak and tired. I had to give
      an extra 1/2 Lasix because her cough sounded wetter last night. She doesn't
      seem to want much affection...so unlike her former self. It just hurts me to
      see her like this. But her heart rate was okay and even her resp rate was
      okay.

      This morning she was on the bed. I cuddled her a little and she purred a
      little and licked my hand. She ate okay and then went into her bureau drawer
      to sleep for the day. She's started to have a little trouble jumping up to
      the chair that is next to the dresser. She seems very weak. I just look into
      her eyes and she is saying to me she's tired, very tired.

      I just don't know what to do. My internal med vet is gone this week. Could
      it be potassium is down? It was normal on her bloodwork a couple of weeks
      ago. For those of you using Lasix, does your vet give potassium? I am afraid
      to switch to the dandelion.

      SO many of you say your cats have energy....why is Widgie like this? She is
      on a really low dose of heart meds so I don't think that's the cause. I
      really need some support today.

    • Lynna
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2001
        Z,
        Sabrina is 14 years old and is in right sided heart failure and now
        doesn't move around much at all. Can go about 6 feet and then stops to
        rest. On our hardwood floors and any tile flooring I notice she is
        slipping a little bit too. She is ok on carpet.

        She sleeps almost ALL the time now. I took her off everything except
        the lasix (1/4 tab 1 time per day) and the spiro (1/4 tab 2 times per
        day) The only other medicine they acually had her on was lanoxin and
        she was a zombie so we discontinued it.

        I think what you are seeing in Widgie is the heart problem. At least
        that's what it sounds like.

        I know we are not putting Sabrina through more at this point. She is
        going to live out her life as best as we can possbily do it, and she
        gets acupuncture every 10 days to stay happy and healthy.

        But this is not a quality of life that we would go to extremes to
        contine. We are heartbroken as I know you are.
        Lynna

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "Sandler, Zellene E." <zellene.sandler@p...>