Re: [FH] heart cat taking binders with constipation problems.

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2008
      Hi Kelly (hope that's right),

      In a message dated 6/21/08 1:19:46 AM, kellyroseanderson@... writes:

      > My cat's phosphorous was about 8.6 three weeks ago.

      That's pretty high. Desirable is around 4.0, even tho the ref. range usually
      goes to about 8 mg/dL.

      > I have been
      > giving aluminium hydroxide mixed with food, a little fish oil and
      > cisapride that is supposed to help the cat deficate.

      All sounds good. Does the cat have decreased motility (hence the cisapride)?
      I'm just throwing this information out there, in case your vet didn't mention
      it...but cisapride is not available in the US for humans b/c of possible risk
      to the heart.

      > His
      > phosphorous did come down and the vet thinks where the phos level is
      > now is good.

      It's a 6.9 mg/dL now? I think (my opinion only) that's still kinda high. But
      I'm really glad you're using a phos. binder.

      If you haven't found it already, there's good information about phos. binders
      at http://members.verizon.net/%7Evze2r6qt/supplies/binders.htm .

      > But he had major constipation

      What does the cat eat (brand, flavor, canned or dry)? What goes in the mouth
      has a direct relationship with what goes out the other end.

      Was the cat constipated before the alum. hydroxide?

      > She didn't want to give him miralex
      > (?) which which is what someone else from this site suggested so he
      > wouldn't become constipated.

      I'm not a big fan of Miralax either, altho other caregivers use it.

      I think some other options for constipation incl first and foremost feeding a
      high-quality, species-appropriate, meat-based diet with 60-80%
      moisture...that is, no dry food. While constipation is about water balance not water volume
      per se, you can increase hydration by adding extra water (or homemade meat
      broth) to food, oral syringing, or using a fountain if the cat likes it. If the
      problem is water balance, slippery elm bark can be helpful...and also helps
      reduce nausea. If the problem is motility, then pure aloe vera inner-leaf juice
      (no sodium benzoate, no aloin, no emodin) can be useful...about 5-10 drops
      1-2x/day. Lily of the Desert is a common brand (I'd stay away from George's, b/c
      the polysaccharides have been removed...or any product with flavorings or
      additives).

      > His bun, crea and phosphorous all came
      > down in the last three weeks.

      Good.

      > My vet doesn't want me to give the al
      > hydrox. because of his kidney problem.

      That concern applies more to humans...not to cats. Alum. hydroxide is
      considered a desirable type of phos. binder for cats.

      > Any suggestions on getting the blood count up (vet doesn't want to
      > give the epogen(?) shot yet)?

      Did you discuss using injectable B complex vitamins and/or B12?

      > ALT (SGPT) 114 (HIGH) 10-100 IU/L

      This is a liver value. Has the cat had any signs of dig. problems besides the
      constipation, eg vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, etc? This is only slightly
      elevated...and it doesn't take much to raise the ALT, which simply indicates that
      "something" is disturbing the liver, which could be anything...but is often
      tied to digestion and food.

      > Cholesterol 292 (HIGH) 75-220 mg/dL

      This is only slightly elevated...and the triglycerides are ok. Elevated
      lipids sometimes point to a metabolism problem (not a dietary fat problem).

      > Amylase 1791 (HIGH) 100-1200 IU/L

      While this can go up with kidney problems...amylase is the enzyme that acts
      on carbohydrates. Does the cat eat a high-carbohydrate diet?

      > RBC 4.8 (LOW) 5.92-9.93 106/〓L
      > HGB 7.2 (LOW) 9.3-15.9 g/dL
      > HCT 22 (LOW) 29-48 %

      This is getting down there. I'd be concerned when the HCT gets around 20.
      Might be worthwhile to talk with the vet what he plans to do with this.

      > T4 0.63 (LOW) 0.8-4.0 〓g/dL

      Is the cat on Tapazole? // Rosemary