New

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
      Hi all, I'm new here. I desperately need advice. I recently adopted a
      second cat from a shelter. she was feral but was warming up slightly
      and starting to play while at the shelter. My fiance and I thought it
      would be great to give her a home...we figured she would get used to
      us....well, it's been two months and she still runs from us. She won't
      stay in any room that we're in and if I try to pet her she hisses and
      scratches. Now the cat we've had for four years, Satine, is starting
      to behave like this new cat. She runs and hides from me and acts
      scared. I'm so frustrated and I don't know what to do. Has anyone
      taken in a feral cat that can offer some advice? She is becoming too
      much for us to handle and now our sweet 4 year old is taking on her
      behavior.
      Thanks!
      JC
    • Carol Yonov
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
        Hi Jessica,
        We take care of a feral who is an outside cat and one day I hope to bring him in, but I have no experience with bringing one inside. Perhaps someone in this feline heart group might be able to help, I don't know. However, there is a group called cats-healthandbehavior which might be able to offer you some help. I think there is also a group(s) for feral cats.
        Good luck to you!
        Carol and Mellie

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
          Hi Jessica,

          I am going to suggest that you join the group I linked below and post your
          post over there.

          They are experts at this and should hopefully be of help to you and your
          Satine.

          Here is the link to the feral cat group:

          I do hope things work out for Satine and the new kitty!

          Candace ^..^

        • Kathy Wood
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
            It takes a great deal of patience to transition a feral, but as others
            have mentioned, it can be such a rewarding experience for all. i would
            try to spend time alone with her if possible. Is it possible to put her
            in a bedroom & close the door & just spend an hour a night
            w/her.........even if ur just sitting in the room w/her reading a book
            (out loud so she can hear ur voice & learn who you are). she'll catch
            on that it's ok & maybe a change in her personality will help w/the
            transition w/ur other kitty. It's just one of many suggestions.

            Jessica wrote:

            > Hi all, I'm new here. I desperately need advice. I recently adopted a
            > second cat from a shelter. she was feral but was warming up slightly
            > and starting to play while at the shelter. My fiance and I thought it
            > would be great to give her a home...we figured she would get used to
            > us....well, it's been two months and she still runs from us. She won't
            > stay in any room that we're in and if I try to pet her she hisses and
            > scratches. Now the cat we've had for four years, Satine, is starting
            > to behave like this new cat. She runs and hides from me and acts
            > scared. I'm so frustrated and I don't know what to do. Has anyone
            > taken in a feral cat that can offer some advice? She is becoming too
            > much for us to handle and now our sweet 4 year old is taking on her
            > behavior.
            > Thanks!
            > JC

          • plankysmom
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 19, 2013
              I had joined the hyperthyroid group, as my cat is hyperthyroid. I posted about his concurrent heart condition and was quite put off by the simple response I was given by what appeared to be a group leader saying "sounds terminal at this point to me". I am not looking for a prognosis. Yes, my cat has a fatal heart condition, but there is no established timeline. I want to help him fight as long as he can and keep him comfortable. My cat is hyperthyroid, not extremely though. He was having what appeared to be seizures and the vet diagnosed him as hyper t. The meds seemed to stop the seizures. A few days ago he had another one. I assumed his meds needed to be up'd. He had labored breathing- again I assumed hyper t acting up. After an xray then a ecco cardio gram today- it was established he has moderate hypertrophic cardio myopathy, and severe dilated cardio myopathy. He was given some blood pressure meds, started on aspirin (although no clots were seen in ecco), a diuretic, and his hyper t meds were up'd as his levels were elevated again. Today he is acting perfectly. He breathing isn't labored. His eating has always been good, every single other thing about his behavior is normal. He has never acted sick beyond the labored breathing two days ago and the short seizures (5 total in last year). My vet said I can start him on the co q 10, but I didn't ask how much. Can anyone give me their input on this co q 10, and perhaps any one else have their cat going thru this level of heart issues without showing signs? The vet said he has no way to tell how fast this has progressed, it is possible he has had this a while and is hanging on fine, but it is also possible its new and coming on fast.
            • karenborga@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013
                Welcome plankysmom,

                I'm sure you will be fully supported by members in this group.

                Karen

                *****
                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013
                  Hi Mom; it's also possible Planky may hang in there for a good long time...my cat lasted 3.5 years after dx and was in CHF at the time. I gave CQ10 daily, I think 50 mg, but I don't remember for sure now (I'm sure others who are treating their cats will chime in with a dosage.) I'm a little surprised the vet didn't prescribe lasix for Plankey as he was having some CHF when he had difficulty breathing, and that is what clears the lungs..why not ask him about that? One thing you can do is to watch his breathing...it should be around 20-25 when resting and when it gets over 30 it can be a sign of fluid build up in his lungs. The best thing you can do, in addition to taking him for semi annual echos and vet visits, is to stay calm and centered with him and give him lots of love...he will respond to that treatment. I was very upset and nervous initially after my cat was dx, but that conveyed to him and made him nervous...once I calmed down he did too.
                  You're obviously a caring cat mom...just give your kitty lots of love and attention and enjoy what time you have together...it's hard to grasp that they can go at any time, but many cats live healthy lives (just like humans) with heart disease.good luck...Judi and Angel Max

                  To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jjehlar@...
                  Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 03:19:36 +0000

[...]

                • Laurie Stead
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013
                    Hi.  I am sorry to hear of the dx and even more sorry to hear of the comment made by another group's member.  Let me correct them....

                    My Boo went into CHF Oct 2011.... no idea she had a heart issue until she was fighting for her life (and you will hear this from most group members... usually it goes undetected until crisis hits).  Boo was also diagnosed with DCM (very rare in kitties).  She fought for 3 days in oxygen and survived. Not only that she became stabilized on her meds and this Oct will be 2 yrs! since she was given "months at best".  Did I mention that other than her daily meds you wouldn't even know she was ill?  Yes, every kitty is different but there is absolutely no reason to be without hope.
                    DCM can be an indicator of insufficient Taurine.  Was a blood test done to test his Taurine level?  If you ruled that out, there are meds that I would talk to the cardiologist about.  The diuretic I assume is Lasix?  This is very important as this helps fluid not to build up resulting in labored breathing.   I would talk to the cardio about adding Pimobendan once he is stabilized on the other meds.  There is not much research on cats but it has been a life-saver for dogs with DCM.  Most kitties in the group are not suffering DCM yet still swear by this drug.  I really believe it saved Boo's life and is worth trying.  Just for reference Boo receives Lasix, Plavix, Benazepril and Pimobendan.

                    I believe someone else already mentioned monitoring his resting respiratory rate.  This is very important as it will alert you to any problems.  Get to know what is normal for him at rest, usually in the mid 20s.  Anything above 30 is cause for concern and over 40 is an emergency.

                    I do not have to balance Hyper-T with Boo's heart so I can't offer advice there but I am sure others will.

                    Take a deep breath.... I promise in time it will get easier... right now you are probably shocked by the dx and trying to learn all you can to help him.  As someone else mentioned, he doesn't know he is sick so keep him stress free by trying to keep your stress level down. I know easier said than done.  We are here for you... so keep us updated! :)

                    Laurie and Boo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013
                      Hi there

                      HCM can be caused by uncontrolled hyperthyroid and can get better when the
                      HT is under control. It is very likely his HCM is made worse by that and
                      may get better as the HT is treated. Aspirin or another anti clotting is a
                      good idea.

                      There is no prognosis for HCM. My Trixi had a few months to live at age 12
                      weeks. She is 7 years next month. Once heart failure is stabilised , cats
                      can do very well and it sounds as if the diuretics have worked. There are
                      other medications that would help too if needed to help the heart.

                      Learn his normal breathing pattern and rate when he is resting. Then
                      anything different can be noticed quickly. Over 30 breaths per minute is vet
                      time, over 40 is emergency. This is at rest, but the most important is a change
                      from normal. My elderly stripey boy, Josh, balances HT, HCM and kidney
                      disease and has done for over 5 years.