I need help you guys

  • fredsus1@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      I introduced myself the other day, my Jerkie has crf and now we think
      cardiomyopathy. He was put on enacard (enalapril) and I wrote to the
      list to see if I should be watching for any side-effects, intolerance
      of the drug.

      I am still confused about all of this. I induced this because of
      excess subq's for his crf which I feel very guilty and bad about. He
      has been on enacard since Saturday and I need to know what to watch
      for if he is tolerating it or not.

      Please cc me as I am on digest. Sorry, I didn't get any replies to my
      introduction and am feeling rather lost :(

      Susie and the Bums (Goofey, Jerkie, Cakie and Libby)
      Snohomish, Wa
    • VHess2000@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        Fred- It's very unlikely that you can "induce" this condition because of
        SubQ fluids, so don't beat yourself up over this. Cardiomyopathy generally
        develops because of genetic defaults, taurine deficiency or a virus. Because
        his heart doesn't move blood through efficiently, it get larger because it
        works harder, and fluid seeps into the heart tissue itself. Eventually that
        fluid then seeps into the pleural cavity. At a certain point, congestive
        heart failure sets in. Diuertics will relieve this congestion, or in a
        critical case, a chest tap might be done. I believe that the renal problem
        complicates the situation, so I'm not sure how your vet recommends managing
        fluid. My people have used dandelion with great success, for fluid
        retention. This doesn't cause a loss of potassium. My cat never experienced
        any side effects from either enecard or enlapril. i strongly recommend
        getting your cat started on CoQ10, 30 mg daily, in a lipid base. It is
        available at your health food store. This will help your cat utilize energy
        better at the cellular level, and reduce load on the heart. It has been
        demonstrated in clinical trials to reduce heart size and reduce the number of
        heart med's human patients must be on. A recent study also found that almost
        30% of patients taking CoQ10, who were stablized on their heart meds,
        suffered sudden and and severe complications, including death, within 2-3
        weeks of stopping COQ10 supplementation, so plan to keep on your cat on it
        for the course of his life.

        I hope this is helpful.

        Victoria
      • diane
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
          Hi,

          I can't see where subq's caused the heart problem. I'd suspect Jerkie had a
          slight heart condition that no one caught and the fluids just made it more
          apparent.

          The only side affect of enacard that I know of from Kearra was the
          possibility of it affecting the kidneys. We had Kearra tested one month
          after she started it and there was no change in her levels. She was on a
          half dosage.

          She showed no ill-affects of the medicine at all.

          Diane

          At 04:48 PM 8/1/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          >I introduced myself the other day, my Jerkie has crf and now we think
          >cardiomyopathy. He was put on enacard (enalapril) and I wrote to the
          >list to see if I should be watching for any side-effects, intolerance
          >of the drug.
          >
          >I am still confused about all of this. I induced this because of
          >excess subq's for his crf which I feel very guilty and bad about. He
          >has been on enacard since Saturday and I need to know what to watch
          >for if he is tolerating it or not.
          >
          >Please cc me as I am on digest. Sorry, I didn't get any replies to my
          >introduction and am feeling rather lost :(
          >
          >Susie and the Bums (Goofey, Jerkie, Cakie and Libby)
          >Snohomish, Wa

        • Cynthia Rausch
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
            fredsus1@... wrote:
            I introduced myself the other day, my Jerkie has crf and now we think
            cardiomyopathy. He was put on enacard (enalapril) and I wrote to the
            list to see if I should be watching for any side-effects, intolerance
            of the drug.

            I am still confused about all of this. I induced this because of
            excess subq's for his crf which I feel very guilty and bad about. He
            has been on enacard since Saturday and I need to know what to watch
            for if he is tolerating it or not.

            Please cc me as I am on digest. Sorry, I didn't get any replies to my
            introduction and am feeling rather lost :(

            Susie and the Bums (Goofey, Jerkie, Cakie and Libby)
            Snohomish, Wa

            Dear Susie,

            Fluids do not cause this disease, its just once your kitty has this
            disease, fluids can make it worse.

            There had to have been heart problems to begin with, did your vet
            every check for high blood pressure or murmurs?

            Has Jerkie ever had an ultrasound down? The problem is with the
            vets not finding out first whether or not our kitty's have heart problems
            before giving fluids.

            There are many causes of heart problem. You need to find out what
            the heart problem is and treat it, fluids will most certainly make things
            worse but they do not cause the disease in it self.

            Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel