Re: Snowball's coughing - I need help using the stethoscope!

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
      Thanks everyone who wrote about using the stethoscope. I see that
      many of you have difficulty with it too...I don't feel so much like
      a dummy now!

      Snowball had a really bad coughing attach last night and again this
      morning. We had called the vet on Monday but they said they couldn't
      fit us in till Friday! But this morning I asked them if we could
      just bring her in for xrays, we wouldn't have to see the doctor,
      just have the techs do the xrays so we could see if there was any
      fluid in her chest. They said yes that they'd try to fit us in, but
      we'd have to just come and wait, so we went today at noon and sat
      there and waited for two hours! Finally they did the xrays and our
      vet did surface to look at them and talk to us about them. The good
      news is that he didn't see any fluid or anything like that. Bad
      news is that he said her kidneys are so small, he couldn't see them
      on the xrays. That's not good at all. :-( I'm hoping that when the
      radiologist comes on rounds next Tuesday (he only comes every other
      week), that he'll be able to see more about what her kidneys look
      like.

      We also put in a call to the cardiologist to schedule another
      ultrasound. She hasn't had one since last October, so it's time to
      recheck.

      I'm so relieved that there's no fluid in there! I was just losing
      it today watching her cough so badly.

      The vet thinks it is allergies and told us to keep her inside and
      keep the windows closed for a while, get some saline to spray up her
      nose (yeah right!), and let it take it's course. He said we could
      give her some antihistamine, but with her on the Mirtazapine and
      Pepcid that already increase her heart rate and respiration, we
      decided no on that. We're going to put her in the nebulizer chamber
      and nebulize her for a few days. We used to do that with her angel
      Ducky for his chronic respiratory infections and it always helped
      him, so hopefully it'll do the same for Snowball.

      Thanks again for all the support, everyone. Your sharing your
      knowledge really helped us a lot. I love you guys!

      hugs,
      Carol and Snowball and the gang
    • Azar Attura
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2008
        Hi Carol-- you have done so many good things for
        Snowball, which have definitely helped to extend and
        augment her quality of life!

        I have a stethoscope that I used for Princess in her
        final weeks. She had such a gentle heart..... I still
        miss her. Always will.

        Ace